Get your seed spuds ordered!

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by Vince, Oct 29, 2012.

1. Vince

Vince Not so well known for it.

Retired
    Ratings:
    +3,499
    If, like me, you have favourites you wish to grow next year, I suggest you order your seed spuds as soon as possible if they are a popular variety!

Seed potatoes are down over 50% due to the dreadful summer we've just had, popular varieties will be available for a short while yet (whilst stocks last), rarer and heritage varieties are very thin on the ground (or underneath!), order now if you can!

• Like Like x 3
    • Freddy

Freddy Miserable git, well known for it

Retired - yay!
      Ratings:
      +12,508
      Just out of interest, where do folks get their seed spuds from? This year I got mine from T&M, but was a bit disappointed as to the size and quality of the tubers.

• Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
      +28,996
      I get mine from a local garden centre where I can buy them by the sack to get them cheaper, then also get a further 10% discount, making them a fraction of the cost of buying from the likes of T&M who only seem to sell 'very small' seed spuds.

If they're going to be even more expensive than this year when they all failed, I shan't bother wasting any of my time, money and space and get my potatoes from Aldi, only with the exception of a few grown for the 'biggest potato' class in the village show.

• Like Like x 1
      • Jack McHammocklashing

Jack McHammocklashing Sludgemariner

Ex Civil Serpent
        Ratings:
        +7,278
        The local garden centre, has about thirty varieties in sacks
        You can buy one seed if you want, recommended to take a pen as they are all just plain normal white bags you take them to the counter in

Jack McH

• Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
        +12,667
        I think local garden centre is handy to buy loose if you want to try different varieties - just buy a few of each variety to try and have a Cook & Taste session - and then grow the ones you like (and produce a flavour you like in your soil). You can also choose the size of tuber you want; varieties likely to be limited though.

I'm a bit choosy when buying mail order, often the seed potatoes are shipped very early in the year - before Christmas even! (leaving the punter to look after them for months) and/or are shipped during very cold weather when potentially subjected to freezing cold left in delivery vehicles / cold warehouses overnight.

I buy my seed potatoes from JBA Seed Potatoes, have done for years in fact. They charge £2 for 5 (if you want to try some different varieties) and £4.50 for 2.5kg, £28 for 25kg (varies with variety, of course). They definitely suspend shipments during cold weather, dunno if you can choose a delivery time to suit you though - but they are a friendly bunch, so you could ask :) Heritage varieties available.

• Vince

Vince Not so well known for it.

Retired
        Ratings:
        +3,499
        Having tried both T&M and JBA, I must say JBA have been the better quality.
        Price wise JBA are very competitive and P&P is cheaper than T&M.

• Steve R

Steve R Soil Furtler

Carer
        Ratings:
        +3,698
        http://gardenerscorner.co.uk/forum/threads/seed-potatoes-2012-2013-season.45025/

Like Kristen I buy from JBA, last year a group of us from the allotment ordered a bulk delivery (wholesale) and we got ours delivered in feb...it was delayed by a few days due to frosty weather...the delivery comes on a pallet. Ordering this way though you have to buy by the sack, but prices are around £12-£14 per sack and delivery for the whole order is £40.

So its worthwhile getting orders for a few friends, deciding on varieties and buying together.

Steve...:)