1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Getting ready for winter - advice needed please

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by sun_is_shining, Oct 1, 2011.

1. sun_is_shining

sun_is_shining Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hey there,

even though it is lovely and warm at the moment I will have to start thinking about preparing our garden for winter soon. Basically, our garden consists of about 8 raised beds with various annual crops that will all be harvested before November. Apart from that we have a fair amount of grassy and wildflower areas, native hedgerows, a pond and a poly tunnel.

We are a community garden for our local university and have a Freshers meeting next week. New input will be great but I would like to have at least an idea of what we will have to do in the garden over the next few months.

My idea would have been:

- weed out all the nettles and make a nettle tea to use as fertilizer
    - turn the soil once everything is harvested and apply comfrey/nettle tea
    - plant garlic in seed trays in the poly tunnel and transfer them outside in spring
    - order new seeds for next spring and plan what to plant where.

However, I read here that winter covers can be planted to give nutrients back to the soil so that could be an option. Are there any other things we can start doing in November to prepare the garden for the winter?
    Also, what shall we do with the herbs we have growing like mint and lemon balm - will they be ok outside?

And my final question for now (thanks for your patience) we have a native hedgerow growing in its first year. They still have plastic spirals around them from when they were planted in march. Should I leave hem over winter or remove the spirals?

Thank you so much for your help!

2. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +46,161
    It's good to plan.

If you have nettles bear in mind the first frost will kill off their leaves and all that will be left are their roots over winter.

You don't necessarily need to turn over the soil before winter. If you are on a heavy/clay soil it might be a good idea to do so. Digging before the winter is a good method of controlling weeds. Also digging over and leaving big clods exposes a bigger area of soil for the frosts to break down and will eventually lead to a better soil structure - but that doesn't work for all soil types.

Don't apply comfrey/nettle tea over winter to vacant ground, the nitrogen in the tea will just get washed away. It's best to apply to crops as they are growing in the spring.

It would be better to get garlic into the soil before winter, although it depends what type you intend to grow. Some can be sown in the spring. The majority of types need to be in the ground October/November time.

Green manures are a good way of covering vacant ground over winter, improving soil structure and preventing nutrients being washed away. Leguminous green manure add a lot of goodness back into the soil. They also have the benefit of smothering out weeds.

Lemon balm and mint will just need tidying up - give them a trim to stop them getting scraggly. They will lose their leaves over winter, but they will quickly grow back again in the spring. If you have a polytunnel then you could pot some up and bring them inside to prolong their harvest period.

I would say keep the plastic spirals on the hedge, they are for rabbit protection and will be needed for the first few years unless you are very very sure you don't have any of the little pests.

:dbgrtmb: