1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Getting rid of course grass in Lawn

Discussion in 'Lawns' started by Kevin Cowans, Jun 23, 2021.

1. Kevin Cowans

Kevin Cowans Super Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,064
    Hello all

I hope you are well.

I have noticed some small areas of Lawn where the grass is more of a stalk rather than blades.

What is the best way to remove this course grass from the Lawn, would cutting it out be enough to allow the finer grasses to grow or are any other steps needed?

Thanks in advance

Kevin

2. Spruce

Spruce Glad to be back .....

Ratings:
    +12,320
    Hi Kevin

A old method is to use a sharp knife and cut through it in to the soil this weakens the grass gives the other grass a opportunity to grow

3. Loofah

Loofah Admin Staff Member

Ratings:
    +21,661
    could be field or couch grass in which case any part of the root left will regrow. If it's very small areas you can paint on weedkiller to the leaves but i'd certainly give digging out a go first

4. Kevin Cowans

Kevin Cowans Super Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,064
    Hello

Thanks for the replies.

The areas affected are only small, maybe 3" square at most, however, me being me they stand out like a sore thumb.

I will try slicing them and see if that helps, if not, then I will dig them out and apply grass seed.

Thanks

Kevin