1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Geum and Passiflora

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by fleur, Jun 4, 2011.

1. fleur

fleur Apprentice Gardener

retired
    Ratings:
    +0
    I need advice how to propagate geums and passiflora(the easter flower) - when do the seeds form? Both have flowers which seem to turn into fluffy heads like teasils. Hope I have described this properly.

2. Spruce

Spruce Glad to be back .....

Ratings:
    +12,322
    Hi Welcome to the forum lots of new people today

They are both easy to grow , the Geums are still in flower so towards the end of June I would keep a eye on the seeds , you could plant straight away in a seed tray any fresh seed compost then cover with fine grit they will need to be kept under cover for the winter a greenhouse then repot each one (3inch pot) next year and grow on then plant them out.

The passion plant is so easy from cuttings , take a non flowering shoot about 6 inches pinch the top leaves out then cut just below the last set of leaves then take the bottom leaves off and put into water on your window sill once the roots get going pot up its that easy keep in the warm over winter then next May June you can put them out in the garden , my friends Mags who cant garden she says even grew them from cuttings , now if she can you can !!!:dbgrtmb:

Spruce

3. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +85,976
    I've never seen a passiflora that has "fluffy heads like teasel":scratch:
    Not heard it called "the Easter flower" before either.

Could this be Clematis?

4. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    Pete, I would assume Easter Flower comes about from the common name of Passion Flower, which represents the Passion of Christ. Which, I believe, is celebrated at Easter time. I could be wrong though.:dbgrtmb:

5. pete

Retired
    Ratings:
    +85,976
  6. fleur

fleur Apprentice Gardener

retired
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks pete and spruce; the easter flower comes up every year but the geum is new (a bright orange). I will now wait for the flowers to dry on the plant and harvest the seeds. From what you say they must be rather tiny. Thanks again for your advice.

7. Lorna

Lorna Gardener

Ratings:
    +49
    Fleur, I don't think you mean passiflora, I think you mean Pulsatilla vulgaris, otherwise known as Pasque flower or Easter flower, Pasque meaning Easter. They certainly have fluffy seedheads. I haven't yet tried to collect the seeds, but I did grow mine from seed originally. The clump spreads a bit every year.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
    • pete

Retired
      Ratings:
      +85,976
      Well done Lorna, the fluffy seed heads on Passiflora was bothering me.

I've grown Pulsatilla from seed, should have thought of that.

Fleur, you just collect the fluffy bits when they come away from the plant easily, I just sowed them straight away on the surface of a pot of compost, covered with 6mm of grit and left the pot outside till the following spring.
      When they germinate.:)