1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Geum quellyon

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by SimonZ, Nov 26, 2018.

1. SimonZ

SimonZ Gardener

Ratings:
    +746
    I believe this is a Geum quellyon, although they are more frequent in rd - hence the common name of scarlet avens. I was surprised to see it thriving in the garden in November after fairly heavy weather and a real cold snap. I think it is a survivor of some I planted a few summers back, and which re-emerge for certain periods. I wondered if anyone could give me any tips, advice or information about these plants and anything I can do to provide the best environment for them. To be fair, they seem to be doing fine with minimal interference from me, but if anyone has any particular experience with them that would be of interest. Alternatively, any information about the plant and its natural history and/or biology is always of interest. I have read up on the usual websites, but there is always more to learn! Thanks.

Attached Files:

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Janet mahay

Janet mahay Gardener

Ratings:
      +611
      Its an interesting plant
      I understand these plants are also called bloody mary and Grecian rose Geums are short-lived perennials that require division every few years to renew the patch. Otherwise, they will naturally decline and disappear.
      Although they can be prone to.root rot they will adapt to any soil conditions
      It is amazing they blooming in November but lately I noticed flowers are blooming when normally they should be dormant maybe like the weather they gone crazy lol

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
      • SimonZ

SimonZ Gardener

Ratings:
        +746
        Many thanks! I particularly appreciate the advice about division.At this stage there is only one flower left above ground, but presumably I will need to divide the root ball in the winter.

• HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
        Ratings:
        +16,246
        Does this apply to other varieties of Geums @Janet mahay ? I have Geum Rivale , Mrs Bradshaw and Koi . Only discovered Geums 2 years ago , it is a plant I like :blue thumb:

• Janet mahay

Janet mahay Gardener

Ratings:
        +611
        Most geums are similar to one another in soils and looking after but there are some website's dealing with different sorts of different geums so it would be good to look them up for more info,
        Geums are proving to be popular as some are said to be slug free plant as well as tolerating different soils infact i am thinking of growing one next year janet

Last edited: Nov 30, 2018