1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Gherkin cucumbers....

Discussion in 'Wanted' started by ExpatCanadian, Aug 25, 2009.

1. ExpatCanadian

ExpatCanadian Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hello all,

I'm searching for a supply of Gherkin cucumbers.... unsuccessfully so far. I normally grow my own, but my crop was a dismal failure this year so I have a few, but barely enough for a small jar.

If anyone out there is growing them and has an excess of fruit this year I would be very grateful to be able to buy 3-5 kg of them...

I am in the East London area, but would be willing to travel around 50 miles in any direction to collect!

Thanks,
    Tyson Cooper

2. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +46,056
    You must really like your gherkins if you are willing to travel all that way to collect some!

Is there any difference between a gherkin cucumber and a normal cucumber? I do have an excess of normal cucs right now, if they could be picked small and pickled that would be a good idea, I doubt I would have more than a dozen or so anyway. Sorry I can't help you.

3. JWK

Ratings:
    +46,056
    OK I just googled Gherkins and what I didn't know was that I need to grow 'West Indian Gherkin' which stay at 1 to 3" long. Maybe next year I'll try some.

4. ExpatCanadian

Ratings:
    +0
    I do really like my Gherkins... or plain old "Dill Pickles" as we call them back in Canada where I'm from. You can use small normal cukes, but you get far better results using a variety specifically for this. One such variety is the one you've mentioned, but there are loads of different ones depending on what sort of pickles you want... and at this point i wouldn't be too picky. In the past i've topped up my own supply at a local Lithuanian shop that usually has some fresh ones.... but that shop has recently closed so I'm out of luck there too.

I actually ferment them in a crock with dill and garlic, like sauerkraut.... then process them in a canner for storage. They come out fantastic!

But... this may not happen this year as I can't seem to find anyone who grows them :(

5. JWK

Ratings:
    +46,056
    Tyson, have you ever been to Borough Market http://www.boroughmarket.org.uk/index.php?pid=13, it can't be far from you and is the best fruit & veg market I've been to in the UK, I don't know if any of the traders there sell gherkins but you'll enjoy it anyway.

6. ExpatCanadian

Ratings:
    +0
  7. JWK

Ratings:
    +46,056
    Hee hee, New Spitalfields is for wholesalers so it's non too welcoming for Joe Public.

8. seedstotal

seedstotal Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Try polish shops! They mad about gherkins in Poland too. And my fairly local shop has gherkins!
    Its near Heathrow, but I dont think you have to travel that far! Lots of them in the ealing area and everywhere in london