Giant pumpkin seedlings

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by james swann, Jun 23, 2012.

1. james swann

james swann Gardener

Ratings:
    +141
    Hello all, little bit of help needed. Tried getting swmbo into growing so together we set some giant pumpkin seeds. 6 days in in the heated prop (yes i know a bit late to germinate) and we have 88.88% success. Now the problem is im stuck i dont really know if i should pot these up into indv pots or should we pop them sttraight into our prepped mound?? With or without support et c?? uploadfromtaptalk1340443996848.jpg

2. Madahhlia

Madahhlia Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +3,089
    You'l need to harden them off so may as well pop them into individual pots for the time it takes to do that.

3. Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
    +28,996
    Transplanting will set them even further back, so I'd reduce to 2 best plants per pot and wait until there was a much bigger true leaf before planting out, as what's there at the moment is so tiny that a slug could very easily finish the plants off for good. Then pinch the weakest plant out after they've settled in (but the slugs might do this for you).

You can always pot up the ones removed as spares just in case, but I would be careful not to disturb the roots of the retained seedlings.