1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Giant scabious?

Discussion in 'Identification Area' started by mazambo, May 13, 2022.

1. mazambo

mazambo Forever Learning

Ratings:
    +3,718
    I'm not 100% sure but I'm thinking this is a
    Giant scabious (Cephalaria gigantea) or a white scabious, I'm sure I posted a photo a few years ago where a cat had sat in the middle of the plant and flattened it. It didn't appear last year but is back this year. Definitely a scabious I think.
    20220512_151520.jpg

• Agree Agree x 2
    • mazambo

mazambo Forever Learning

Ratings:
      +3,718
      @Nikolaos I was hoping you'd remember the post, I remember you saying something like the cat had done a good job because it looked good snaking through the other plants.

• Like Like x 1
      • Nikolaos

Nikolaos Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +4,289
        Hehe, yes that's it @mazambo, it'll be interesting to see how yours does this Summer as mine is about the same size, bumblebees adore this one apparently!

Nick

• mazambo

mazambo Forever Learning

Ratings:
        +3,718
        I've got a massive echinops to the left of it which was possibly the most bee attractive plant I had last year.

• Agree Agree x 1
        • Informative Informative x 1
        • hailbopp

hailbopp Gardener

Ratings:
          +709
          I grow both Echinops and Cephalaria Gigantea….the latter well named as my clump grows to about 10ft every year and bliss does not need staking. Even when you decide to split the plant( you need a JCB to dig it up due to the humongous root which breaks) it does not take very long before it again reaches for the stars. A great herbaceous plant for giving height to any herbaceous border as long as you have the room to accommodate it.
          I agree, growing maybe 100 different herbaceous plants Echinops is number 1 favourite for bees. I once counted 6 bees on 1 flower alone!
          F24C8C45-5B53-44B1-807E-C66ADBD0A47C.jpeg

• Like Like x 3