1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Giant sunflowers

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by mazambo, Mar 17, 2019.

1. mazambo

mazambo Forever Learning

Ratings:
    +3,718
    Hi everyone, I'm looking to fire up my grandsons imagination for gardening (6 year old) I'm thinking of giant sunflower seeds in pots, I have some 50 and 60 litre tubs can anyone recommend a variety to suit, I'm trying to look from his perspective a half inch seed to a tree!

2. KFF

KFF Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +5,890
    I'd say " Russian Giant " as well.

Have you thought about putting a tripod of 6' canes in and growing 6 runner beans ( 2 per pole ). That should get him interested in food as well.

• Like Like x 1
    • Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
      +28,997
    • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
      Ratings:
      +85,990
      Select some big seed from bird food, its usually pretty good.
      In pots, lots of nitrogen early on and no growth check then move on to potash feed later in the summer.

• mazambo

mazambo Forever Learning

Ratings:
      +3,718
      My grandson will be over tomorrow so hoping to get some seeds sown, starting them off in the greenhouse, and potting up outside in may, I've been looking at pot sizes to grow them in minimum seems to be 5 gallon (19 litre) i have 20, 30, and 45 litre pots which would be better?

• mazambo

mazambo Forever Learning

Ratings:
      +3,718
      We sowed 6 red and 6 yellow last Saturday, this is what we have today, some look a bit leggy I think, so I'm unsure what to do when it's time to pot on, do i treat them as leggy and plant them deep or just repot and leave the height?

Attached Files:

• mazambo

mazambo Forever Learning

Ratings:
      +3,718
      I think I'll have to repot again this weekend, should they be staked of left?

Attached Files:

• mazambo

mazambo Forever Learning

Ratings:
      +3,718
      I went with pikes peak and red sun and just kept two of each and passed the rest on two and a half months on my grandson is well impressed, not giants by no means but they look bigger to him, two have opened with flowers and two are yet to open, I kept 2 red and 2 yellow one opened is yellow and the other, well unsure just hope it's not a red because I'll be 20190721_184509.jpg 20190721_184514.jpg disappointed.

• Like Like x 1