1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Ginger Root

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by David G, Jun 26, 2009.

1. David G

David G Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    Hi All

I have just found a piece of Ginger Root that looks to have started growing in the depths of the vegetable rack will it grow to be of any use if I plant it out?? If yes how should I plant it??

Thanks in advance

Dave

2. Alice

Alice Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +81
    Yes David, it will grow but I don't think it will do well outside.
    If you want to try growing it then plant it in a pot of compost with the little growing point just peeping above the compost. Keep it damp but not wet and in a warm place but not direct sunshine - that just scorches the leaves.
    It likes high humidity so you could stand the pot in a tray of pebbles kept damp or spray it with water every day.
    It will put up green shoots which will die down about December. Let the plant dry out then and lift the roots and see what you have. If the crop is very small you can just replant the roots and repeat the process. I think it might take 2 years to get a worthwhile crop. Well I'm hoping so as I replanted mine last year and the plant is putting up lots of shoots - so here's hoping.