1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Glorious superba

Discussion in 'Other Plants' started by stumorphmac, Jul 23, 2022.

1. stumorphmac

stumorphmac cymbidist

RETIRED GARDENER
    Ratings:
    +212
    Visited the Tatton Park show and my wife purchased a Glorisa lily dormant tuber my question is what to do with it now surely it should be growing
    So do I pot it up normally and hope it doesn't start growing or is there a way to store it and keep for the spring
    Thanks to all in advance

2. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +46,139
    I've grown one for a couple of years, they need lots of heat so starting now is ideal. Mine is only just sprouting through the compost.

3. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +46,139
    Pot up as normal in a deep pot with good compost, water lightly it mustn't be too wet before it sprouts as they rot easily. Once sprouted feed with a tomato food and water liberally, it will need support and tieing in.

If you can't work out which is the top just plant the tuber horizontally. They make new tubers growing from the old which can be dry stored frost free for next year.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
      Ratings:
      +85,931
      It does seem late to be having tubers that have not yet started into growth.
      Having said that i don't think you stand a chance of keeping them dormant until next year.
      Pot them up and as much heat and sun as you can give them

• Agree Agree x 1
      • NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
        Ratings:
        +21,324
        @stumorphmac I grew from seed a few years ago and can confirm they are late into growth. I have a couple of pots one sprouted early June and it's first flower has just opened and is about 3 ft tall; the other came through at the end of June and is about 1 ft tall. I let mine climb up a length of string, when the foliage dies back I tidy up and overwinter dry in the same greenhouse it's growing in.

• Like Like x 1
        • noisette47

noisette47 Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +14,332
          Sore subject! Gloriosa was supposed to be the star of my terrace pots this year, but of 5 tubers ordered and received in March, only one made any growth, the others all rotted. Perhaps I tried to get them going far too early? The lone survivor has flowered, but you couldn't call it spectacular :sad: Ah well, some you win, some you lose......

• Like Like x 1
          • NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
            Ratings:
            +21,324
            I'd call it interesting rather than spectacular. There are a number of different species though.

• Agree Agree x 1
            • NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
              Ratings:
              +21,324
              Below is a flower of mine. The colours develop over several days as it matures.
              An interesting point is that the style has a right angle bend in it carrying the stigma out to the side. This is an attempt to prevent self pollination when an insect flies in snd picks up pollen from the stamens hanging down.
              Gloriosa superba.JPG

• Like Like x 1
              • Informative Informative x 1