1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Goats feet

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by gilbie, May 21, 2009.

1. gilbie

gilbie Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    hi were new on here my first thread. does anyone know if goats can get foot rot like sheep? we have 2 pet goats one is fine the other has a condition with his feet they have grown to long. we have had the vet take a look at him he said some goats get this condition . today i was having a look at him and triming his feet and the inside of his hoof is very soft a bit like dead skin but no smell like foot rot. i will of corse ring the vet tomorow to check it out but just thought i would post it on here .

2. SendaCow

SendaCow Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    It has been known that goat in fact do get foot rot ... usually characterized by lameness and a separation of horny portions of the hoof from the sensitive tissues underneath. The early stage of foot rot is the reddening of the skin between the claws that results in tissue death. have you been to the vet? whats been said?

3. gilbie

gilbie Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi. sorry to take take so long to reply, yes, had the vet out to look at Ant & he has no infection,, he did say he has never seen this is in a young goat (Ant is a year old but it could be genentic) but has a high heel ? & not wearing his feet down down naturally, as Dec is doing, ( yes, Ant & Dec & i do think they look they look like them), anyway back the the problem, to treat it , we took out the soft tissue ( like dead skin) & cut his hoofs, he does seem to be getting better. we did buy a magnetic collar for him, maybe doing the trick??...
    Thank you for my first reply
    gilbie