1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Goats

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by JanG, Sep 16, 2010.

1. JanG

JanG Gardener

Retire
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello everyone, I have justed joined the forum today and was wondering if anyone keeps goats.

I have four mixed breeds, which I keep for clearing the bush around here.

Just thought I would ask, it would be nice to get some goat info going.

2. clare

clare Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    My aunt and uncle used to have them, and I used to love going to see them (especially when they were kids!) But no, I've never kept them myself, sorry.

Lovely animals though :)

3. kyleleonard

kyleleonard Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +950
    I love goats, such majestic creatures.

4. pamsdish

pamsdish Total Gardener

Retired
    "Black Country Wench" in Margam,Port Talbot,Wales
    Ratings:
    +4,445
    We had goats on a small holding in Eire, We had them for the same reason ,to clear the brush as we had a small wood at the back of the property. :coffee:

We obtained 2 half brothers "Hale and Pace", unfortunately 1 died so the remainder become "Rocky" I loved that goat. :wub2:

We then bought a Nanny with 2 kids as "Rocky" was lonely :cry3:

Unfortunately we also lost 1 of the kids after about a year.:o

They both died of "Fluke" which is a parasite that lives on grass and attacks the liver, Although mine were dosed by the vet against it ,it doesn`t always work.:OUCH:

Also you have to keep their feet trimmed so they don`t get foot rot ,you just cut off the bits that are starting to curl under ,its quite easy.:dbgrtmb:

Apart from that I suggest you handle them frequently as they can be the devil to catch, and dont forget they do eat anything ,so its up to you to keep them away from the things you dont want eaten ,and they are very very agile,:gaagh:

5. SimonZ

SimonZ Gardener

Ratings:
    +746
    I am sorry to hear that most people who keep goats end up slaughtering them for meat, or selling them for slaughter once the have slowed their milk production - and that, as with cow dairying, the male kids are often automatically slaughtered due to being of no use. i would love to hear from anyone who does not do this, and just keeps the goats even after they have slowed their milk production.