1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Golden showers growing help needed

Discussion in 'Roses' started by Adam D, Aug 23, 2015.

1. Adam D

Adam D Gardener

Sheet Metal Fabrication
    Ratings:
    +42
    Picked up a Golden Shower today but not sure what I'm doing it's a rambling rose and not a climber how am I going to grow this up a rose trellis when I get buds on the main stems stopping growth really don't know what I'm doing with roses need an expert.

Thanks in advance.

Attached Files:

2. wiseowl

wiseowl FRIENDLY ADMIN Staff Member

Philosophy of people
    Ratings:
    +89,835
    Good evening @Adam D well its definitely a Climber and bred in the 1950's in the U.S.A.its a lovely golden Yellow Rose ,one of the best,it will grow up a trellis quite easily,are you going to grow it in a container or in the ground:smile:

Climber, Large-Flowered Climber.
    Yellow. Licorice, tea fragrance. 20 to 30 petals. Average diameter 6". Large bloom form. Blooms in flushes throughout the season.
    Climbing.
    Height of 10' to 14' (305 to 425 cm). Width of up to 6' (up to 185 cm).

3. Adam D

Adam D Gardener

Sheet Metal Fabrication
    Ratings:
    +42
    Glad you showed up.

I just don't get it because it just looks like the rose i already have in my garden thought this type send up single long stems that send out shoots which then flower is that right do I need to prune it back to base to get these long stems I've watched and read just about everything on rambling rose just don't look like mine it looks like it has been cut back to lower frame work grown a bit then flowered need you wisdom what do I need to do this time of year it's going in the ground.

4. wiseowl

Philosophy of people
    Ratings:
    +89,835
    Hi @Adam D yes its a bit confusing calling your Rose Climber and Rambler,its because they name it a modern climber.its a short rambler but a tall climber (10 feet high)you can grow it to 6ft or 10 its up to you my friend,I would get it in to the ground in its position as soon as possible and please keep it well watered for the first 3 days(twice a day) then just once every evening for the next 4 days,I can see it has some diseased leaves on it just remove those and please don't put them anywhere in the garden,ie compost bin/heap,just keep your eye on it and let us know how its getting on please,its got a good disease resistance and will grow in a North facing position if needs be,if there are any more worries just let us know,enjoy your evening:smile:

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    • Adam D

Adam D Gardener

Sheet Metal Fabrication
      Ratings:
      +42
      So I take it I'm removing the dead heads and then training the new growth up the arch do you know of any articles online that can help me with growing this type of rose I can't find anything related to rambling rose it's all climbers.

• wiseowl

Philosophy of people
      Ratings:
      +89,835
      Good morning @Adam D now I am only going to say this once so listen carefully my fried "it is a climber":lunapic 130165696578242 5:

You really don't need an online Article just ask every one of your questions here at Gardeners Corner in our Rose forum ,they will get answered my friend either by your's truly or one of our Rosarian friends ,and there are quite a few with first hand knowledge and experience and you will get a much more balanced view and outcome to your questions,so fire away:smile:

• Like Like x 1
      • Adam D

Adam D Gardener

Sheet Metal Fabrication
        Ratings:
        +42

Should my GS rose look like this having main upwards growing stems.

• Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +52,594
        Not this year Adam as it's to late in the season. You must remember that you've bought a young plant and it needs time to grow to the height of the one in the video, which is why it looks like any other rose at the moment. Plant it out in the position you want it and follow Wiseowls instructions, he is a long time served, qualified Rosarian and there's none better to answer your questions. :)

We are coming to autumn now so rose growth is slowing down and it will become dormant and lose it's leaves over the winter months. Come next spring it will burst into life again and start to produce the long stems you want during spring and summer.

I confirm that you should treat this rose as a climber not a rambler. :)

• Like Like x 1
        • moyra

moyra A knackered Veteran Gardener

Retired
          Ratings:
          +9,817
          Gosh Adam, you really must listen to WOO, there is nothing he doesn't know about Roses. I have a Golden Showers myself and it is beautiful. You will not be disappointed just give it a chance.

• Like Like x 1
          • Friendly Friendly x 1