Golden showers help please

Discussion in 'Roses' started by Adam D, Jul 4, 2015.

1. Adam D

Adam D Gardener

Sheet Metal Fabrication
    Ratings:
    +42
    Going with the advice wise owl gave me I managed to drop on this today for 99p not sure what to do with all the wax it's covered in could i pot this up to get it established before I put it in the ground.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
    • wiseowl

wiseowl FRIENDLY ADMIN Staff Member

Philosophy of people
      Ratings:
      +89,258
      Hi @Adam D just leave it,the wax is supposed to seal in the moisture so that when they sit in the hot and drying sun for weeks on end they don't actually die like normal roses would. Well, the green paraffin that is used does have slow melting temperature, but it's still not kind to living tissue that is dipped in it. It also hides lots of cane imperfections that a
      knowledgeable buyer might note and refuse to buy the rose. In hot climates, the wax can actually cook the canes if the foliage doesn't develop enough to shade the
      rose properly.:smile:

Now I have said all that your Rose Golden Showers is a lovely Yellow Climber and t,the general rule is that you don't plant a bare root Rose in mid summer,but now you have your rose I would respectfully suggest that you pot it up in some John Innes No 3 in a big container or pot with some drainage in the bottom of the pot and stand it on a couple of bricks to raise it off the ground,keep it well watered early morning and late evening,give it just a little sun but and some shade please don't let it dry out and hopefully your Rose will be fine if you can nurse it until it gets a good strong root system and then plant it in the ground,please be patient with your rose as these wax covered Roses sometimes take quite a long time before they start to show signs of new growth,hope this is of some help to you my friend,and welcome to the world of Roses:smile:

• Like Like x 3
      • Informative Informative x 2
      • "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +31,885
        Bargain!
        The one rose we saved in our garden when we moved in last year I now know to be "Golden Showers" (many thanks to @Sheal for that ID last year) and it is a glorious colour, very resilient and if flowering profusely. It was chopped to within an inch of it's life (unintentionally and not to be recommended) and I am thrilled with it.

Wishing you all the success you need to bring yours to flower :dbgrtmb:

• Friendly Friendly x 2