Good petrol tools (specifically brush cutter and rotovator)

Discussion in 'Tools And Equipment' started by clueless1, Sep 3, 2011.

1. clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
    +19,594
    Evening all.

I don't know if we are allowed to recommend brands or not, but if we are, does anyone have any recommendations when it comes to choosing a new brush cutter, and a new rotorvator?

My dad has a nearly new brush cutter, but it keeps conking out. With the energy that goes into getting it started, I might as well cut the thistles and nettles down by hand with a scythe.

I was up my land today for the first time in a while, I must admit I've ignored it a bit recently while I focus on my back garden. It is overgrown, and my dad's brush cutter did a fantastic job while it was running, but you stop for a five minute rest and you can't get the thing started again for ages. Its nearly new so we can't blame wear and tear, and I serviced it a few months ago after it wouldn't start at all, so we can't blame the most common maintenance problems, so we have to conclude its just rubbish.

I know Ryobi is a big name in chainsaws (my dad's ryobi chainsaw has served us very well for years, requiring no more than the occassional change of air filter as far as maintenance is concerned), but I have no idea what is the name in brush cutters.

I'll also be looking for a small but reliable rotorvator soon. My dad has a fantastic beast of a one, but it is about 30 years old and requires us to take a full tool kit with us every time we want to use it.

2. ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +100,834
    I can't see a problem with this Thread, Clueless, so long as we don't having anyone jumping in with a commercial or trade post and link. I've got a Ryobi petrol strimmer which I like very much, it's reliable and sturdy, but as I don't have a rotorvator or brush cutter, so I'm outta here.:D

• Like Like x 1
    • clueless1

Ratings:
      +19,594
      A brush cutter is nowt more than a slightly beefed up strimmer with a different head, so I guess if their strimmers are good, and I know their chainsaws are good, I would guess their brush cutters are probably good too:dbgrtmb:

• ARMANDII

Ratings:
      +100,834
      Okay, I'm back again. I've also just bought another Ryobi brand power tool, an electric Pole hedge trimmer, and I've already got a Ryobi standard hedge trimmer so I do think they're good.:thumbsup::D

• clueless1

Ratings:
      +19,594
      I've just googled Ryobi brush cutters, and found that most are compatible with Flymo/McCulloch attachments so you can make them do most jobs.

I'd order one now but I have a personal rule of never buying anything when I've had a drink, so I'll look again tomorrow:dbgrtmb:

It seems you can get a cultivator attachment too, which in theory kills two birds with one stone, but in practice I doubt you'd get much benefit from a cultivator running off a 30cc engine, it'd probably just tickle the surface while pulling your arms off in the process, so I'll keep looking for a rotorvator I think.

• Like Like x 1
      • lazydog

lazydog Know nothing but willing to learn

waiting to win the Lotto
        Ratings:
        +641
        I have had Ryobi chainsaws and dont rate them to highly they are a bit weak for heavy work I dont know about brushcutters but I have a Alko rotovator made by the same people who make caravan chassis and its brilliant and a pleasure to use.If you can afford it buy Stihl tools parts are easily available and models dont go out of date to often and they are tougher
        ALKO Rotavators MH5001 from Garden Machinery Direct

• Boghopper

Boghopper Gardener

Ratings:
        +225
        I've got a Ryobi strimmer with a generic articulated hedgecutter attachment. Although not as robust as Stihl tools, which I use for work I've found them more than adequate for domestic use. And, they're about a fifth of the price.

When I bought the strimmer, the guy in Screwfix (they were on special offer there), said his dad had a rotavator attachment which he used successfully on his allotment.

• Jack McHammocklashing

Jack McHammocklashing Sludgemariner

Ex Civil Serpent
        Ratings:
        +7,278
        Clueless
        Starting a warm/hot engine is completley different from starting from cold
        The amount of times you prime it with the bulb, could flood it and it will take ages to dry out and start again

Like the car, choke out turn advance lever to advanced for ignition throw the starting handle
        turn advance lever to retard, get in car, drive ten minutes slide choke in set retard lever to drive :-)

Just a thought

Jack McH

• Like Like x 1
        • ARMANDII

Ratings:
          +100,834
          You're right, Jack. Been there, wore the T-Shirt.:D

• Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
          +0
          Hope their power tools are better than their fishing reels:pcthwack:

• ARMANDII

Ratings:
          +100,834
          I like them, Ziggy. The trouble is that people by tools that are for DIY purposes and then tend to use them for jobs which actually needs a professional grade tool, and then they wonder why it isn't quite doing the job or breaks down.:WINK1::rolleyespink:

Didn't know they made reels????

• Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
          +0
          Seen that time and time again:DOH:A black & decker will not do for building a house:DOH:

Don't buy a Ryobi masterline, they are not master at anything:DOH:

• ARMANDII

Ratings:
          +100,834
          I only use Shimano, Abu Garcia, or Okuma reels, Ziggy, but that's for freshwater fishing.:D

• Jack McHammocklashing

Jack McHammocklashing Sludgemariner

Ex Civil Serpent
          Ratings:
          +7,278
          Off on one of me tangents
          When I was a baby sailor, the ship was sailing at 11:00
          I was the only one in the mess of 48 who had permission to go ashore before we sailed
          A guy who was into fishing gave me wads of notes (like lots of money in them days) to buy him this reel from this shop
          I was chuffed to bits to take back to him a reel and saved ten quid for him
          We sailed I gave him the reel and extra change
          Err he was NOT BEST PLEASED
          Well I was not into fishing had not a dicky doo clue :-)

Jack McH

• Like Like x 1
          • ARMANDII

Ratings:
            +100,834