1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Gooseberry bush dilemma

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by Emily Jones, Jul 27, 2020.

1. Emily Jones

Emily Jones Gardener

Ratings:
    +224
    I acquired a gooseberry bush on my plot this year, and at first there were a couple of fruits, not many. Not sure whether they were lost to the birds, but I didn't get to enjoy a single one and I've had nothing since. Bit sad as everything else seems to be doing so well. Should I prune it back this Autumn? Has anyone got some good care tips, that may see it thrive next year!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Logan

Logan Total Gardener

housewife
      Ratings:
      +44,649
      Yes the birds like them as well and the wasps.
      I'd just prune out any old branches and cut out any that you don't want. I don't prune mine very much and they do well, especially in a sunny spot.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Emily Jones

Emily Jones Gardener

Ratings:
        +224
        I did add a covering once I started losing some of the berries and perhaps I blocked out too much of the sunlight...lesson learnt for sure! I will prune it back, seems quite...'bushy' so to speak :hapydancsmil: and let some light and air get in. Do you ever use a feed? Thanks for your advice

Last edited: Jul 27, 2020
      • NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
        Ratings:
        +21,328
        Birds do like ripe gooseberries, doubt if you blocked out too much light. As for pruning wait until the leaves drop off in autumn and then remove any broken, crossing or weak shoots, remove some of the oldest branches every year between a quarter and a third. You are trying to get an open structure of branches that air can circulate through, this reduces problems with American Gooseberry Miildew and also allows light in.
        Gooseberries are often grown on a "leg" with one stem coming out of the ground and then branching at 6 to 9 inches up into a goblet shape.
        I failed at this bit with all mine so they grow more out of a stool. The leg is supposed to make pruning and picking easier.
        Mine get fed with either growmore or blood fish and bone or chicken manure pellets, whichever I have to hand when I remember to do it in springtime they also get a mulch of garden compost every spring.

• Like Like x 1
        • Informative Informative x 1
        • Emily Jones

Emily Jones Gardener

Ratings:
          +224
          Very interesting Nigel!! Mine definitely doesn't have a goblet like structure. I think in past times it's just been plonked in and left. I'll try my best in Autumn to get it into some sort of shape. Thanks for all the pruning info. I've also got some blood fish and bone so I'll remember to put some down in spring. Hoping these tips will give it a new lease of life. I'm hoping for some pies/tarts next year :biggrin::yahoo:

• Like Like x 1
          • Friendly Friendly x 1
          • Logan

Logan Total Gardener

housewife
            Ratings:
            +44,649
            I'd use a high potash fertiliser, i manage to get actual wood ash which is almost the same, put it on in the spring.
            I hardly prune the ones in the front and they don't get too big, but the ones in the back i cut back because they're close to the footpath and get in the way.

• Like Like x 1
            • Agree Agree x 1