1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Gooseberry cutting error?

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by Green Knees, Jul 1, 2020.

1. Green Knees

Green Knees Gardener

Ratings:
    +42
    Hi
    Appologies for hitting you experts up for answers but we had a gooseberry bush about 3ft high. I knocked the top 8inches off one of the branches while moving it. I trimmed the bark off the lowest inch and put it in water on the windowcill and soon roots sprouted above the area where I'd stripped the bark.
    I've planted it now and it's about 30in high but it's only putting out leaves... there's no branches off the main stem yet.
    Is this right? I don't want a 6ft high stem with leaves and no branches off it! Any advice or calming reassurance?

The cutting:
    IMG_20200506_122719.jpg

The bush today:
    IMG_20200701_174536.jpg

2. flounder

flounder Super Gardener

RETIRED!!
    Ratings:
    +1,643
    Pinching out the growing tip should make it more bushy, but leaving it as a single stem it'll grow to about 3ft or so. It makes it easier when grazing on the fruit(I love gooseberries!) and easier when looking for saw fly larvae

• Agree Agree x 1
    • NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
      Ratings:
      +21,243
      You can grow gooseberries as a cordon, so on a single upright stem. I have seen them up to 8ft taill at RHS Wisley. Makes picking easier, the fruit ripens well and mildew is reduced due to the good air circulation. Although you get less fruit per plant you can plant closer together and so try several different varieties in a fairly small space.

• Green Knees

Green Knees Gardener

Ratings:
      +42
      Thanks Nigel, you've sorta confirmed what I've just discovered.
      I've just had a look now and there's 4 definite "branch" looking things sticking out from under the big leaves near the bottom. The longest is only about 4in but it has produced multiple leaves along it so I'm a happier gardener tonight. ;-)

Are you saying if I remove, or keep these branches small, the main stem will grow high and still fruit?

The parent plant has trebled in size since last year, it came as 2x 70cm stems with a mess of branches off them. This bush is now chest high, and as wide, with an awful lot of leaves. I've re-potted it once into a black builders bucket but I think it needs something bigger again as there's fine roots visible already edge-to-edge right across the top. Is this because I water it via the top of the soil?

Is there anyway to make a bush produce fruit?

Cheers

Last edited: Aug 2, 2020