1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

'Grafted' peppers

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by JWK, May 2, 2011.

1. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +46,155
    I picked up a sweet pepper plant in the garden centre thinking this will give me a head start on my tiny seedlings I've nutured at home. But it was £4.99! :dunno: Then I looked again at the label and it said it was 'grafted'. Surely no-one is going to pay that much for something that might gain a bit more fruit. I certainly won't.

Anyone had experience of grafted vegetables and is it worth the extra?

2. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,667
    I've read some reviews - I think the RHS did a side-by-side test in The Garden mag, or somesuch.

My recollection is : measurable increases in vigour and cropping, but not hugely significant.

However, if you are growing in greenhouse soil and get grafted varieties for disease-resistance / soil-sickness avoidance, you can avoid changing the soil, which will no doubt suit some people.

Do your own grafting next year? Seed for rootstock is available,, as are little plastic collars to hold the "join" in place.

Half of my Pepper seedlings snuffed it (and the early Melons). I let them get too cold in the early stages (when we also had very low light levels) - I'm going to work on that next year - a little fan-heater in a blow-away in the conservatory. But I managed to spy a block of 6 peppers in modules as replacements at the garden centre, and put the outrageously priced one-per-pot ones back on the shelf!

• Like Like x 1
    • davygfuchsia

davygfuchsia Gardener

Ratings:
      +257
      I have Peppers about 4ins high in pots at the moment ,never grown them before .. Are they best in pots inside /outside or planted direct outside .??
      Dave

• Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
      +12,667
      Pots inside would be better than any form of "outside" I reckon, although you should be OK outside if you have an early maturing variety.

• Like Like x 1
      • davygfuchsia

davygfuchsia Gardener

Ratings:
        +257
        Cheers Kristen i will check the varieties ..
        Dave

• JWK

Ratings:
        +46,155
        It's all a bit too much of a faff for me I think, and it takes the fun out of it when the financial rewards aren't there (£4.99 would buy all the peppers from the supermarket for our whole family for a year).

• Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
        +12,667
        Indeed. How many peppers are you going to get off that one plant? 3 or 4 maybe? That's over a quid a fruit!

• shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
        Ratings:
        +118,485
        Peppers (not plants) are 80p each in Sainsbury's. :D

Davy, if you have the room in the greenhouse than I would keep them there. They will be much happier. :thumbsup:

• encapsulated-sapling

encapsulated-sapling Apprentice Gardener

student-part time self employed.
        Ratings:
        +1
        John,
        i have brought one of these recently!
        mine was from homebase and cost £5.99
        when i got it there were 2 red peppers, 1 yellow and 2 green.
        it seemed to look in good shape, but the sense i got from them sitting on there shelf.
        it just felt like i shouldnt buy one, however my mother persuaded me to purchase one,
        so i did and im devastated, the leaves are now being taken over by diease, and it has spread to my chillis, cayennes, and other sweet peppers.
        i've never had this problem before, but i wont buy the grafted veg plants anymore!

• JWK

Ratings:
        +46,155
        Sounds like you were a bit unlucky there. I'd take it back and you'll get a refund at least. I've taken plants back to B&Q after they have failed and they have given me my money back, I'm sure Homebase will do the same.

I wonder if the disease started from the pepper or your other plants? I've overwintered chilli plants in the past and they seem to harbour bugs and diseases keeping them indoors all the time.

Do you know what the disease is? Put up a photo and we will try and help :dbgrtmb:

• encapsulated-sapling

encapsulated-sapling Apprentice Gardener

student-part time self employed.
        Ratings:
        +1
        Will try and get a picture up, thanks :)