1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

grapes in a glass house?

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by Gazania, Apr 17, 2014.

1. Gazania

Gazania Gardener

Ratings:
    +204
    Hi all, I'm wondering whether it is worth me buying a grape vine? I would only be able to keep it in an unheated glass house! Would this be okay in your experience?

thanks,

Gazania

• Like Like x 1
    • Madahhlia

Madahhlia Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +3,089
      Yes, I believe so. In fact, I have a grape vine which is quite happy outside on a South facing wall, but it doesn't produce very good quality grapes. I don't know if that's because of temps, watering or some other factor.

I suggest researching varieties carefully and buying a good one for your purpose. Also, if grown in a glasshouse I have seen the root planted outside with the trunk trained through a gap to the inside where it fruits - so investigate if that is necessary or a good option in your case.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Spruce

Spruce Glad to be back .....

Ratings:
        +12,320

Great answer :goodpost:

• Agree Agree x 2
        • Spruce

Spruce Glad to be back .....

Ratings:
          +12,320
          two good varieties are ;

Fosters seedling & Black Hamburgh

• Gazania

Gazania Gardener

Ratings:
          +204
          This sounds promising.

The grape I was thinking of growing was actually cultivated on a country estate about a mile away from me. The estate no longer operates but perhaps the original plants were grown in unheated glass houses? Might be worth a try.

thanks for the replies.

Gazania

• pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
          Ratings:
          +85,629
          I used to have a Muscat of Alexandria in a cold greenhouse, it did reasonably well but often ripening very late and some times suffering from botrytis.

If you are growing under glass you can pick much more interesting varieties and avoid those which are mostly wine grapes.
          I'd consider trying something like Flame or Thompsons seedless, there are others that are newer varieties.

• Madahhlia

Madahhlia Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +3,089
          Mine is a Madeleine Sylvaner, I suspect this is a wine grape not a dessert grape. It produces quite a few bunches but the grapes stay small and often split as though watering is an issue. The flavour is good although they are very seedy. Also, it is inclined to get a bit of powdery mildew late in the season.