1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Grass Garden Types ?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by HarryS, Sep 26, 2016.

1. HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +16,246
    I have a small flower bed I want to completely replant next spring , as it is a mess of shrubs I don't like and a Golden Hop which has gone berserk ! I do like ornamental grasses , but know very little about them.
    Looking around Beetham Nursery this weekend they had a very good selection of Pennisetum (Panicum ?) - fountain or feather grasses . These really took our eye . But on doing my Google research on them , it seems they are not fully hardy in our climes.:gaah: Now I don't want the faff of bringing them under cover every winter . Any advice on these or other showey grasses would be appreciated.
    TIA

Pennisetum Squaw
    panicum_squaw_.jpg

• Like Like x 2
    • "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +31,885
      I picked up a grass variety, which I've been hankering after for some time, recently at a trip to RHS Wisley. Commonly called "Japanese Forest Grass", but the variety I went for is, "Hakonechloa macra 'Aureola’". It does die back in Winter, but should come back with both barrels blazing next year :blue thumb:
      Be aware though that several varieties exist (the Head Gardener from Canterbury Cathedral put on an amazing show of them at Hampton Court this year (yes, I was there too :heehee: but all his samples were sold and only on offer via the web).

Naturally, asking the forum is going to give you a variety of favourites, preferences and suggestions; so, do research each suggestion so that you get, not only the best deal for your pound sterling, but also year round robustness! :thumbsup:

• Like Like x 1
      • HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
        Ratings:
        +16,246
        Thanks for the pointer @"M" the forest grass does look very nice . Any more ideas anyone on ornamental grasses ?

• Friendly Friendly x 1