Grass seed not sprouting

Discussion in 'NEW Gardeners !' started by Rikki McNeill, May 25, 2020.

1. Rikki McNeill

Rikki McNeill Apprentice Gardener

Financial Advisor
    Ratings:
    +13
    Morning all

So I thought I would oversee my grass as there was thin spots and patches.

I cut it down over a couple of weeks to the lowest setting.

electric scarified- 4 passes as it was taking up a lot from one side of the grass.

Went round with a fork and every 6 inch.

Put down fertiliser as recommended by the company, left it a week and then put down the seeds. Topped up with a thin layer of top soil.

I have had the sprinkler on for periods since sewing and the weather has been good.

11 days and absolutely no activity on the seeds, however the existing grass is starting to get long again (and half the garden still looks very thin and dead)

have I missed something obvious here, do I need to start again or do I just sit and wait it out? Also I take it I can’t cut down the grass as the seeds will be picked up. Worried the seeds won’t get sun now...

2. Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +52,318
    Grass seed usually starts to appear around two weeks after sowing, so I would give it more time Rikki. The seeds won't suffer for the lack of sun as it's heat that makes them germinate. If the grass is very long then set your mower on a high cut to take the worst off - it shouldn't interfere with the seeds.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
      +45,651
      More than likely, depending on your mower type. The rotarys create a suction effect and will hoover up grass seed.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +52,318
        I hadn't thought about that @JWK. I have a rotary mower but I always cover my grass seed with a thin layer of soil so I can mow over it and keep the birds away.

• Like Like x 1
        • Agree Agree x 1