1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

grass seed still not growing

Discussion in 'Lawns' started by riverside, Oct 4, 2008.

1. riverside

riverside Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    come Monday late afternoon, my grass seed would have been down 7 days, problem is: it's not doing anything, no sight of growth nothing it's just sitting there.
    Now I raked some in and added some more to the top, but all the seed still looks like it did when i put in down (just dirtier and wetter), is there anything i'm doing wrong? :(

2. Garden master

Garden master Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    what seed mixture are you using. some take upto 21 days to germinate, How much of an area have you seeded, is it a large area or small patches. If a large area then the seed bed should be prepared thoroughly prior to sowing :thumb:

3. Little Miss Road Rage

Little Miss Road Rage Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    I found with my seed it just sat there then all of a sudden up it popped

4. Pro Gard

Pro Gard Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    Its been cold the last few weeks, give it time..... with this rain and a few warmer days it will start to germinate soon.

I normaly allow a 14 day period for germination in autumn.

5. riverside

riverside Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Area is large and was thoroughly prepared, two layers of (peat free) compost were added then a top layer of top soil; all was stomped down, seed added, raked in, more seed added, watered in, watered when days were dry or the rainfall was minor (I havent watered it today :wink:)

It was a standard (if they exist) bag of grass seed

6. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +46,117
    You have certainly prepared it well, it will come up, just give it a bit more time like Pro and GM say.

7. Flinty

Flinty Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    I wouldn't touch the seeded areas any more now. Just give it time - those seeds will sprout while your back is turned!

8. moyra

moyra A knackered Veteran Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +9,817
    I laid a new lawn end of August. I have to confess I chose my seed to give me fast and hard wearing results. It came up within 7 days and I have now cut it three times it keeps growing so fast. I also watered it with my special drought protection feed, which is a bit of a joke considering the rain we have had but it does seem to have given it a boost. I bought the seed from Home Base but cannot remember what it was called. The drought protection feed I bought from Tesco's back last spring.

9. riverside

riverside Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    still no sign of growth but the local cats are using it as a giant litter fricking tray - it's really starting to annoy me and I'm considering 'drastic' measures....

10. Little Miss Road Rage

Little Miss Road Rage Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Oh dear that's not good. What about some turf? I was too impatient to wait for seed to grow

11. Pro Gard

Pro Gard Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    Perhaps the seed is stale, seed bought from diy stores can often be a year old ie stock from the previouse year.

Its best to buy seed from a horticultural supply firm as they sell vast volumes so it is always fresh, you can buy it by the kilo and its farr cheapeer also you have a better choice as oposed to from a garden centre.

I buy mine from:

http://www.jtoms.co.uk/catalog/index.php?cPath=25&osCsid=a8829891c9f09243ca70946c9c372735

( for most jobs i use the 2NR mix)

12. riverside

riverside Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    might try the garden centre at the weekend and see what they've got, and aim for the fast growing stuff. do i need to take up what's already sown or just leave it? and would it be ok to resow now? (october I mean)

13. Pro Gard

Pro Gard Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    Buying from a garden centre you risk stale seed. Fast growing meens lots of rye.

No problem overseeding the non growing seed or seeding this month, In fact im seeding close to 3/4 acre in 2 weeks time!

14. Brian Simpson

Brian Simpson Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Is lots of rye a problem?

15. moyra

moyra A knackered Veteran Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +9,817

Not if you are not looking for bowling green conditions and its harder wearing.