Great leaning tower of roses

Discussion in 'Roses' started by Shyamalie Satkunanandan, Mar 6, 2021.

1. Shyamalie Satkunanandan

Shyamalie Satkunanandan Gardener

Ratings:
    +28
    Hi again,

I'm case you haven't read my other post, my mother planted some rose bushes 28 years ago. I've been looking after them for the last five years, with little pruning but lots of mulching, compost and water. One of them has been "falling" over the years - mostly because I let it get absolutely massive. The roots on the rhs are almost at soil surface level.

I've cut it back hugely this year but I'm concerned that I should reposition it in the winter? Or should I wait to see if new canes grow on the rhs that will help balance it out?

I'm pretty sure it's a floribunda rose, if that helps with advice. But if you can tell what it actually is, please let me know!

MVIMG_20200327_103124.jpg MVIMG_20210303_121817.jpg MVIMG_20210303_121807.jpg IMG-20210306-WA0002.jpg
    Thanks,
    Shy

2. ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +100,834
    Hi Shy, well, is the first image showing the Rose height as it is now or how it was before you pruned it.??:scratch: If the Rose is at the height in the image you can cut it back and let the Rose start again to regain a proper shape.

This particular Professional Gardener showing how to prune back roses is very qualified and I think you will gain from viewing the video. I suspect that if you cut back at least a quarter of the present height you will find a great change in the Rose.
    Don't forget that all Roses are hungry plants, so I would sprinkle a handful of Blood, Fish and Bonemeal around the Rose and then when it starts into leaf I would give it a fortnightly feed of high Potash feed such as Tomato Feed.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Shyamalie Satkunanandan

Ratings:
      +28
      Whoops! Sorry, I didn't upload a current photo. So as you can see I've chopped it to a quarter of its former height (good to know that was the right thing to do!).

So I don't need to reposition the rose in Nov?

That's a great video about pruning - he's absolutely ruthless about it!

Attached Files:

• ARMANDII

Ratings:
      +100,834
      I would say not, shy, as the Rose seems to be quite happy where it is, that is unless you don't like where it is but, otherwise, I would leave it where it is. But do create a feeding regime for it so that you will get the best out of it.

• Shyamalie Satkunanandan

Ratings:
      +28
      Sorry, I didn't mean transplant it to a completely different place. Just try and reposition it where it is to make it more upright and balanced.

But I suppose you're right that it's "happy" and thriving as it is, so prob best to leave it and hope for canes to grow on the other side and start to balance it out.

I do have some bone meal but have never had a proper feeding regime so will def invest in some high potassium feed. Its also probably why the two smaller roses on either side of the plant have never properly established themselves!

Thank you!!

• ARMANDII

Ratings:
      +100,834
      You're more than welcome, Shy:love30::thumbsup: