1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Green caterpillars on the thyme

Discussion in 'Pests, Diseases and Cures' started by jervis, Jul 8, 2006.

1. jervis

jervis Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Urgle! Two days ago we had a healthy common thyme in a terracotta pot. Yesterday evening we were astonished to find it had been stripped bare and was covered in fat bright green caterpillars! :eek: How on earth did that happen? We're 150 feet up in Central London and growing everything on a terrace in containers!

I've checked everything else and can't see the critters on any other plants. Bought this one in Hombease last October, but I can't think that has anything to do with the problem. Help!

2. Hornbeam

Hornbeam Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    There are very many different sorts of caterpillars and not only of butterflies and moths. There are those of sawflies too and although they are smaller, they can strip a plant very quickly. Thyme is usually pest free, but if there is not much else to eat in Central London, then your thyme was a tasty meal. If the eggs were not on the plant when you bought it, then they would have been laid by a high flying moth, butterfly or sawfly . Never mind, console yourself with the thought that you may have increased the butterfly population of Central London ;)

3. jervis

jervis Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    If it had turned out to be something exotic I wouldn't have minded so much, but I just Googled it a an image and it's the caterpillar of the small cabbage white butterfly - described as 'probably the most destructive larva of all'. You're telling me!