1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Green house guttering!!!!

Discussion in 'Greenhouse Growing' started by moonrakermagpie, May 8, 2009.

1. moonrakermagpie

moonrakermagpie Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there,

I wish to collect the rain water from our greenhouse, is there such a thing as a guttering kit to fit on to the ends of the gutters to duct the water into a barrel.

Many tahnks

Steve.

2. Dave W

Dave W Total Gardener

Anything I fancy and can afford!
    Ratings:
    +3,035
    Steve if you look in a garden center or DIY store you should be able to find an adaptor that fits in the normal down pipe and diverts water into a water butt. It looks like a short piece of down pipe with a small pipe sticking out of it. I've one on my GH and when the butt is full the water flows back through the adapter and into the soak-away I dug.

3. moonrakermagpie

moonrakermagpie Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there,

What I was really after was something that actually attaches to the green house itself, at the end of the built-in guttering that it part of the actual green house frame.

The built in gutter is the top horizontal framework section at the top of either side.

But the gutter ends with a plastic fitting, but there is no "overhang" to duct the water into another piece of guttering or down pipes.:ywn::ywn:

Hope you see what I mean.

Steve

4. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,667
  5. kev25v6

kev25v6 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I just used an elbow and a piece of 1.5 inch waste pipeing.

6. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,667
    Interesting. How do you get it to join the swuare section of the greenhouse guttering?

7. moonrakermagpie

moonrakermagpie Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there,

Yes that is the problem, the "gutter" is part of the greenhouse frame itself, and is sort of a square shaped trough.

At the ends - there is nothing to attach anythink to.:scratch::cnfs:

I think I will need somethink to bolt or screw on!!!!!

Many thanks.

Steve.

8. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,667
    The previous owner of my greenhouse used some lead sheet to make a sort of spout on then ends of the gutter. not sure how you would connect that to a downpipe, but it might be a start?

Plus some mastic to keep the whole lot water-tight

9. Hex

Hex Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Depending on how wide it is you might get away by fitting a thru-hull, a kind of flush tank connector, it`ll mean drilling a hole with a holesaw though.

10. sweetpeas

sweetpeas Gardener

Ratings:
    +7
    I've seen it home made with plastic bottles and I think is was on It's not easy being green.

11. pamsdish

pamsdish Total Gardener

Retired
    "Black Country Wench" in Margam,Port Talbot,Wales
    Ratings:
    +4,445
    I found one "gardensite.co.uk " but they are £19-99 inc vat and p&p ,i think i would browse a diy and buy some mastic

12. Pro Gard

Pro Gard Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    I always have done adaptors in lead not dissimilar to what kristen mentioned, quite easy.

a simple bit of folding and soldering, I use a pencil gas torch with plumers lead solder and tallow flux then silicone this onto to the existing gutter. From this spout I use wastepipe to the water butt.If you try doing it in lead then be certain to scrape the joins before you tallow them so as to remove the oxidisation.

13. djrock

djrock Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Hi, By the sounds of it I think itâ??s the same gutters my granâ??s greenhouse has. The guttering problem was solved in two ways:

One gutter has sort of what Kristen said but I think a piece of sheet aluminium was used. Then a bit of hard plastic pipe a bit bigger than the diameter of a standard hose connects to it. The pipe was heated and bent at a right angle.

The other side is a normal drainpipe with I think a 112º joint. It has a notch cut out of it about the internal size of the gutter then siliconed. Itâ??s held to the greenhouse with a homemade bracket made out of aluminium bar.

djrock