1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Green Manure for Autumn Sowing Lawn

Discussion in 'Compost, Fertilisers & Recycling' started by Kristen, Apr 18, 2011.

1. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,667
    Green Manure for Autumn Sowing Lawn.

I have an area that was an old, derelict, Tennis court which I ripped up last Autumn. The clay underneath stank (hadn't seen daylight / air for years I expect ...)

The Farmer has pulled a deep Chisel Plough through it, and I have some (not very luxurious) topsoil to spread on top. I was planning not to sow the grass seed until the Autumn.

Any mileage in growing a Green Manure on it during the Summer? Something that will benefit the grass later on, and/or maybe improve the soil structure, but won't be a menace returning to compete with the grass later on.

2. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +46,155
    A green manure like mustard will add nitrogen into the soil, keep down weeds and you can rotovate it in before it goes to seed to improve the soil structure :dbgrtmb:

3. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,667
    Mustard would look pretty too ... or must I not let it flower / seed?

Hmmm ... Moles Seed says "turn in before flowering" so that might need some judicious planning on Sowing date and the Rotavator Hire!

I reckon that would need 3kg of seed, which would be about £20 ... sounds like a good plan to me.

Growing period 1 - 2 months. Working back: sow the lawn, say, 1st -14th September, allow a week for soil preparation, so rotavate in on 25th August, thus sow 6 weeks earlier on 14th July? That gives me a couple of weeks leeway if the Mustard is slow getting established.

I'll put the date in my diary :)

4. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +118,486
    Mustard is a good idea.

That time of year there is a possibility that the mustard might be quicker to set flower if it is very dry. So you need to keep an eye on it. :dbgrtmb: