Green / Red Peppers and Chillis?

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by Will Dunkerley, Aug 14, 2005.

1. Will Dunkerley

Will Dunkerley Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry to start a new thread on this but I wasn't sure if it would get seen on the existing one ;)

My peppers and chillis are coming on quite well, but I'm not sure when to pick them, as I'd like a mixture of green and red, and possibly, if the picture on the seed packet is anything to go by, some yellow ones as well.

So, they are all green at the moment, and I'm guessing that they'll change colour as they mature? The thing is, my trusty Hessayon book says that leaving the fruits to change colour will prevent further fruiting, so they should be picked green, which I understand. It then goes on to say that a mature green pepper will turn red within 3 weeks under glass. I don't know if he means this occurs with the fruit left on the plant, or to pick it and leave it under glass - surely it would dry out if I did the latter?

Hope this isn't a totally stupid question [​IMG] If, as I suspect he means that the fruit will change colour if left on the plant, I have enough plants to sacrifice extra fruit on some of them in order to get a colour mixture. Or maybe I'm just being fussy :D

2. dalbuie

dalbuie Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    I have never had any luck with peppers turning red even leaving them on the plant, part of them goes red then they tend to go a bit wrinkly if left on too long.A bit like myself when I think about it. :( Chillis are a different matter depending on what type of chillis you are growing. My cayenne will go red on the plant,very hot I must say! if I pick them when they are green they will change colour but dry out at the same time.jalapeno usually stay green.Does this make any sense? I hope I was able to help [​IMG]

3. Will Dunkerley

Will Dunkerley Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Lots of help, thanks Dalbuie [​IMG]

I think my chillis are cayenne, so I'll hope for some red ones - if that's what happens to the peppers though, I think I'll pick them green, because I haven't got so many of those.

Thanks again [​IMG]