green slim on pond

Discussion in 'Water Gardening' started by Gizmo, Dec 19, 2020.

1. Gizmo

Gizmo Gardener

Ratings:
    +849
    hi i was woundering what this is how how to get rid of it as our pond looks abit messy thanks for your advice and help IMG_20201218_141819_resized_20201219_102229010.jpg

2. Freddy

Freddy Miserable git, well known for it

Retired - yay!
    Ratings:
    +12,508
    I’m assuming you mean the wooden surround? It’s algae. You could try using a power washer, if you have one. There might be a chemical means of controlling it, I don’t know. Ultimately, algae will always be a problem on surfaces at this time of year ( wet and cold).

• Like Like x 2
    • ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
      +100,834
      Hi Gizmo, well, it's an indication that there's too much nutrients in the water making it ideal for the algae/weed to grow. Where is the pond placed?, does it have any Fish in it?, what do you do to maintain the pond? I have a approximately 22' x 12' x 3' 6" deep wildlife pond which I dug in 93' and, I can say in all honesty, has always had crystal clear water despite having Fish, Frogs and other wildlife in it without having to resort to filters or pumps.
      Smaller ponds are more difficult to maintain but you have done the right thing by placing Marginal Plants in it as they take nutrients out of the water as they grow and my pond has a lot of them in it along with a linked Bog Garden. How long have you had the Marginal plants in the pond?
      You need to cut down the amount of nutrients in the pond water to deny the algae/weed the ability to grow so if you're adding anything into the water, that might breakdown into nutrients, that needs to be reduced or stopped. Algae/Weed, like other plants, also needs sunshine so a little light shading if possible might help.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • pattie

pattie Gardener

retired
        Ratings:
        +503
        I'm neither green nor slim (I'll get me coat).
        I've occasionally bought a bag of watercress from the supermarket and throw it into the pond. It does work, helping to keep down algae and blanketweed as it absorbs the nutrients on which they grow- but not sure if your pondwater is the issue here, or outside it?

• Like Like x 2
        • ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
          +100,834
          I used my pond as an example to show how fairly easy it is to keep the nutrients down by natural means to the minimal, pattie, by using enough marginal plants to take up the nutrients:dunno: So, again, the problem is, whether the pond is inside or outside, that there is too much Nitrogen in the water.:cat-kittyandsmiley::coffee:

• Like Like x 1
          • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
            Ratings:
            +84,376
            The water looks clear enough to me, so can only think @Freddy is on the right track regarding the staining on the wood work.

• Like Like x 1
            • Agree Agree x 1
            • Gizmo

Gizmo Gardener

Ratings:
              +849
              thanks for your replys the pond is at the end of the garden beside the shed it does get sun and shade , we would like fish etc in pond but none at the moment , i was advised by a family member to put in barley straw extract weekly, the plants have been in approx 2 months
              why would the issue be outside of the pond ?
              what i have noticed is that when its very windy the water in the pond dont stay in the pond when going through the fountain or waterfull so its going over the wooden pond thanks for your advice

• Like Like x 1