1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Greenfly on stawberries - Help please

Discussion in 'Pests, Diseases and Cures' started by Fee, Jun 27, 2007.

1. Fee

Fee Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    The title says it all really.

I have a strawberry pot full of plants, three different varieties. this is my first ever time at growing strawberries. One of the varieties is doing really well, the other two are a bit slower, but perhaps they are later fruiting varieties, i'm not too sure.

My main problem is today I noticed on the plants not doing so well that there is greenfly there. :( What can I do to get rid of the wee pests without damaging/poisoning the fruit.

I really hope someone can help.
    Thanks
    Fee

2. Tropical Oasis

Tropical Oasis Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Rub them off with your gloves on, or spray with a bug killer, most don't hurt the fruit today, so you can still pick, wash and eat. [​IMG]

3. kryssy

kryssy Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hello Fee

Now, I'm no expert gardener but I've usually managed to deal with the wretched pests with some rhubarb leaf spray. If you haven't any rhubarb then I'm sure you can ask around and anyone with any will happily let you have some leaves. Just soak some for about 10 days then strain. You'll end up with a real smelly liquid which you can dilute with water and spray the strawberries with.

I've always used this method and it has always worked. Saves money and keeps the environmentalists happy too. It's not a quick fix but maybe something to consider for the future.

I do the same soak and spray technique with nettles and use it as a feed.

I've got a right stinky garden!!!

4. Fee

Fee Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you for your replies. The rhubarb idea sounds great but I don't have any nearby and can't think of anyone that does. I will go to the garden centre tomorrow and get a spray, and keep my eye open for rhubarb on the way [​IMG]

5. lottielou

lottielou Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Try soaking nettles in water for 10 days instead, as with the rhubarb strain it and spray it onto the plants. I havent tried this yet, but Ive heard good reports.