1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Greenhouse and pots disinfectant?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by HarryS, Jan 4, 2021.

1. HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +16,246
    My gardening hygiene is not to bad. I clean all my seed trays and pots after use with a weak chlorine solution. Several years ago I had an outbreak of rust, and last year some complaint that stopped the flowers opening on petunias and calibrachoa. This could not even be identified by our GC gurus ! So I want to improve my cleaning. What is the best greenhouse cleaner? Would spraying my seedtrays and pots, just before sowing and pricking out, with a disinfectant be ok ? I used to use Jeyes fluid many years ago, is this the goto product?
    TIA

2. ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +4,203
    Hi,

Would ensure any pots washed in bleach or similar are throughly rinsed in clean water, it could be the disinfectant thats affecting the plants ?
    Perhaps store the cleaned and dried pots in polythene bags so nothing can contaminate them over winter.

Would not use anything more on the pots during sowing or pricking out.

What about your water supply, always use tap water thats been allowed to stand at least overnight to release the chlorine and get up to a similar temperature to the plants to avoid any shock to them.
    Would not use rain water on seeds or young plants etc.

Generally use Vitaxs cleaner as Jeyes Fluid can put out such strong fumes, would only use that if doing a complete greenhouse clean where its going to be left empty for some months to completely dissipate.

000316.jpg

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
      Ratings:
      +16,246
      Thanks @ricky101 , I'll try the Vitax disinfectant. I'll give the GH a good clean and disinfect it. This is when the weather warms up, too bloomin' cold now.

• Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
      At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
      Ratings:
      +49,613
      I love the smell of Jeyes Fluid, but it has become hellish expensive. I admit to being a cheapskate - bleach, biological washing powder, pressure washer and hose.

• Like Like x 2
      • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
        Ratings:
        +85,995
        I never get the chance to disinfect my greenhouses because they are totally crammed with plants all winter.
        I could probably try doing something in mid summer, but for some reason it never seems worth it then.:smile:

• Like Like x 2
        • ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +4,203
          Suppose we have no excuses for not having spotless greenhouses and pots etc now the new lockdown has been announced.
          Thankfully we have electricity in ours so can at least do a bit of work in there without being frozen silly !

• Like Like x 2
          • Friendly Friendly x 1
          • Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
            At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
            Ratings:
            +49,613
            Mine is absolutely chock full of stuff (a lot of it rubbish that was going to be heading to the dump, but I suppose they will be shut again!)

• Like Like x 1
            • Perki

Perki Total Gardener

Ratings:
              +8,508
              I only wash small pots like 7cm / smaller and small cell trays , Jeyes fluid is the one most go for but I can't stand the small so I want to bleach but now I am just using fairy liquid . Some times I've poured boiling hot water on some pots I am not sure of.

• Like Like x 2
              • Spruce

Spruce Glad to be back .....

Ratings:
                +12,322

I use this as well , smells fab does the trick , I pre spray everything (apart from plants) then leave on for a week then give it a good hose down

Spruce

• Like Like x 1
                • Mike Allen

Mike Allen Total Gardener

Retired. Plant Pathologist.
                  Ratings:
                  +6,097
                  I have to admit. My GH hygene is none existant. I am still using square Plantpak pots from 30 yrs ago, and 9cm pots of the same period, albeit I purchased a load of 9cm's s/h from grower. I have a good old faithful stiff pot brush and hand brush for the trays.

I bought a steam cleaner a while back. Great machine. Upto now, it's only been used to de-ice the freezer, but it can be used for most domestic purposes, carpet, curtain and upholstery cheaning. I OFTEN intend to take into the GH, but, I don't know. I never make it.

In all honesty. I often think that we gardeners can go OTT with all this sterile stuff.

• Like Like x 1
                  • JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
                    +46,162
                    I cleaned mine just prior to putting up the bubble wrap in Oct/Nov. I use both Jeyes fluid and bleach. I have to pick a fine day when I can shift all the plants out and hope that it all dries before putting them back again. Everything is in pots at this stage so little chance of the jeyes affecting them.

I might clean the glass again in the spring inside and out to ensure max sunlight gets in.

All my pots I clean in the spring, soak in an old dustbin with bleach and try and remove old soil/compost and slugs that have overwintered in them. They don't come out spotless I always think there are some many bugs/pests in brand new compost anyway so why bother, most are benign.

• Friendly Friendly x 1