1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Greenhouse build advice

Discussion in 'Greenhouse Growing' started by Seonaid, Mar 27, 2021.

1. Seonaid

Seonaid Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi everyone,
    Long first post.
    Looking for some advice. I bought myself a lovely aluminium framed greenhouse which due being lost in transit I only got about August. Anyway Scottish storm came and its now gone like the wizard of oz. All that's left is the bottom rails where is was attached and the plant pots, benchs all stand exactly as the were inside.

So, I have asked my other half to build me one. I am trying to keep it reasonably priced. It will be a 3mx3m wooden framed sloped roof (to the front as it's only place I have for a water butt) ...I think. Glass will get smashed by the lovely children and teenagers round about, so I found this stuff.

I can't post the link to the stuff I'm looking at but it is on this website

tunnelvisionhoops com greenhouse-covers woven-greenhouse-plastics

Or do I go for really thick polythene?

I have a polytunnel too, the one with the nylon strings through it. I've been and read up on them as mine is breaking down and they are only rated for year or 2, so ruled that out. Thought polycarbonate 6mm would be too expensive because of the size.

I am making it wood to about 2ft around the bottom, and other half wants to make it about 8ft at the back to 6ft at the front. Wooden uprights every 600mm. Wasn't sure whether we'd need to baton the outside to clamp the covering to the frame.

Do you think this plan would work, or can you spot flaws in my plan?

Thanks
    Seonaid

2. CanadianLori

CanadianLori Total Gardener

Battle Axe
    Ratings:
    +30,610
    Have you thought about twin wall polycarbonate. It is not clear but about the same transparency for sun transmission as those other plastics.
    [​IMG]

Welcome to the forum. :)

• Agree Agree x 3
    • sandymac

sandymac Super Gardener

engineer
      Ratings:
      +914
      That 9mm looks good with 87% Visible Light Transmission

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Michael Hewett

Michael Hewett Total Gardener

Retired
        Ratings:
        +18,026
        I have started to build my own greenhouse too and I'm going to use polycarbonate sheets (not ordered them yet) because I think they will last longer and be stronger against the wind, therefore less work and less expense in the long run.

Good luck ! and welcome to Gardener's Corner :smile:

• Like Like x 2
        • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
          Ratings:
          +85,642
          I've got 9mm twin wall polycarbonate in one side of my green house and glass the other.
          The inside of the poly never freezes but the glass often freezes on the inside even with the heating on.

• Informative Informative x 2
          • Like Like x 1