1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

greenhouse extension?

Discussion in 'Greenhouse Growing' started by wilroda, Feb 22, 2008.

1. wilroda

wilroda Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the advice with regards to moving my greenhouse. With that in mind I intend to swop it for my OH shed which is 12x8.
    The greenhouse is 8x6 and I am wondering if it would be possible to extend it using parts from another one. ( its the usual type of greenhouse)
    Has anyone done this? any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks!

2. Paladin

Paladin Gardening...A work of Heart

Retired but still grubbing the soil.
    Ratings:
    +770
    Hi wilroda [​IMG] It certainly is possible,and not difficult either.
    The best I've seen were two 8x6 G-houses fitted end to end with a door at each gable. They had been riveted together and hacksawed to remove unwanted frame work and base. I was employed to apply silicone along the joins for weather seal.
    My own first greenhouse was actually mismeasure metal windows welded together....It now serves as a shed and quite famous :D

3. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    wilroda, the only problem area is actually marrying up the two frames. Assuming they are different makes I would use 2 x 1 timber to make the joint, which should make it a lot easier than trying to join aluminium to aluminium.

4. wilroda

wilroda Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the encouragement to go ahead - and the plan to use timber at the join is brilliant! ...now i must look out for an old "halls " greenhouse.....

5. daitheplant

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    wilroda, as long as it`s the same width and same height at the ridge, give or take an inch or two, I wouldn`t worry about the make. By using a timber joint you`ve got a little bit of leeway.

6. Freddy

Freddy Miserable git, well known for it

Retired - yay!
    Ratings:
    +12,508
    Hi wilroda. I once joined two `Halls`, an 8ft and a 6ft end to end. Actually, apart from having to hack off a bit of the frame, it was very easy. Cheers, freddy.

7. wilroda

wilroda Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Well i did it!
    If i knew how to put a pic on here i would show you all.
    OH wasnt too impressed with the idea of moving his shed to make way for my GH so we left it where it was.( rather shady at times)
    However, we raised the present gh onto cement blocks to give more height which has made a huge difference and will allow me to grow taller Toms!
    We then managed to get hold of an old GH and it "married up" extremely well.( this one is on blocks too) ..even though it wasnt the same make.
    So now i have a 6 by 12 greenhouse rather than a 6 by 8 and it makes a huge difference.

8. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +118,485
    I admire all of you that can do these things [​IMG] [​IMG] . When it comes to building anything, I am useless [​IMG] [​IMG] :D

9. daitheplant

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    Well done Wilroda, good for you. What`s your next engineering feat going to be? [​IMG] :D

10. wilroda

wilroda Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Next engineering feat? ...i think i will have a rest for a while and enjoy my extension!!