1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

greenhouse flys

Discussion in 'Greenhouse Growing' started by dalbuie, Oct 4, 2005.

1. dalbuie

dalbuie Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    I have had the heater on in my greenhouse for the past week, I went in today and there seems to be a lot of little black flys hovering around my chilli plants they rest in the soil until I disturb them does anyone know what they could be I have only really had ants in there this year and it seems quite late in the year to start getting whatever they are, could it be the extra heat? :(

2. SteveW

SteveW Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    sounds like sciarid fly

3. samsoph

samsoph Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Hi Dalbuie,
    i had a xmas cactus that i cut back this year, (it was do or die, it really needed perking up) so i cut it down put it out for the summer, and when i brought it back in again a few weeks ago, i noticed i had lots of these flies too, so i would be interested in learning more...i put my fly killer next to the plant but it didn't make a diference to the flies!
    gill

4. sewer rat

sewer rat Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    These buggies sound very familiar - had them resting on the compost round my toms in the greenhouse this year. Does anyone in GC know if they are in anyway harmful ?

5. Fran

Fran Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    I too have had them in my greenhouse and even on my indoor plants. Disturb the compost and they hop/fly around. I haven't found they do harm, but then that could be masked by the harm of other pests.

6. dalbuie

dalbuie Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    I had a look in the greenhouse today and although there are rather a lot of them they don't seem to have done any damage(so far). I have never heard of the sciarid fly so I will have to look it up. [​IMG]

7. sewer rat

sewer rat Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
  8. SteveW

SteveW Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    they have maggots that eat rotting debris, if you have ever tried big seads in peat based compost which was too wet...say pea or bean seeds and when they didn't germinate dug them up to find little white maggots eating them, then these are sciarid fly grubs...the flies hopping about above are the adults (also called mushroom flies)keeping the compost on the dry side deters them, some sprays kill them or there are organic methods like predators, see here
    http://www.defenders.co.uk/sciarid_fly.htm

9. dalbuie

dalbuie Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    mmm! charming little things, thanks sewer rat and steveW ;)