1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Greenhouse Fumigation

Discussion in 'Greenhouse Growing' started by gort, Oct 16, 2009.

1. gort

gort Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Seems that you cannot buy the old fumigation smoke bombs of old. The only ones I can seem to find are the ones where you have to remove all the plants, complete with all their pests, fumigate, then put all the removed plants back into the greenhouse along with all the pests! Anyone know of any products you can still buy that will do the job properly, i.e plants and greenhouse:cnfs:

2. Quercus

Quercus Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    I think we've moved on from filling the greenhouse with poisonous smoke.

If you have a specific pest problem, deal with it on an individual basis, otherwise good hygene practices should do.

3. Dave W

Dave W Total Gardener

Anything I fancy and can afford!
    Ratings:
    +3,035
    Sadly there doesn't seem to be anything like those effective smoke bombs available now. Sulphur works but as you've found you have to remove any plants - so it's OK for an empty greenhouse early in the year.

Good hygiene helps of course, but sadly most bugs just haven't grasped that concept yet :D

4. Fidgetsmum

Fidgetsmum Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +865
    I tend to do as Quercus has suggested and deal with each pest on an individual basis. Apart from that - on a nice warm winter's day - there's something quite theraputic about putting the plants outside in the sun, filling a garden sprayer with a Jeyes fluid solution, spraying the nooks and crannies of the greenhouse and cleaning the glass.

Just as a BTW - I was once given one of the smoke bombs. Having read the instructions carefully, I lit 'the blue touch paper' and retired. Clearly it was going to take some time, so I went off to do some shopping and came home to find a fire engine outside! It was a warm day and I'd forgotten about the automatic vent on the greenhouse, so it opened, whereupon my then neighbour, seeing 'smoke' coming from what he thought was my husband's workshop, dialled 999 :dh::lollol::dh:

5. gort

gort Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replies.
    OK then, whitefly, how do you kill the little critters, tried all the chemicals I think, and they just Merrily fly about as normal :scratch:

6. Quercus

Quercus Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
  7. strongylodon

strongylodon Old Member

Retired
    Ratings:
    +28,360
    Pemethrin Smokes and Nicotine Shreds are still available but only in the trade.

I stopped using them in the 90's due to the health risk plus our greenhouses at work leaked too much when we lit them and the next thing we knew, the Fire Brigade were there!!:D

Try the biological way or use sticky card traps.:)

8. flowerofshona

flowerofshona Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I have just done my clean down in both greenhouses and i use a steam cleaner, safe and very good for kiling bugs, eggs ect :)

9. Makka-Bakka

Makka-Bakka Gardener

Research assistant and someone to blame things on
    Ratings:
    +13
    From the postings above, none of you have got whitefly or vine weevil.

Nothing works against these pests and I mean nothing, I have spent a small fortune trying.

Every suggestion on here and elsewhere I have tried, including good hygene!

I have just repotted every potted plant in my greenhouse with fresh, clean compost to try to deal with the vine weevil this winter.

But the whitefly, well I might as well go out and bay at the moon!

10. yannay

yannay Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Poisounous smoke! what was made of? Just think if that got into the wrong hands!