1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Greenhouse in north facing garden

Discussion in 'Greenhouse Growing' started by TMAK, Nov 21, 2015.

1. TMAK

TMAK Tommy

Environmental analyst
    Ratings:
    +217
    Hi I already have a large greenhouse away from the house that gets full sun. The only problem is it's too big to heat for the winter. I was thinking of getting a small gh about 6x8 and keep it heated for the winter. My only problem is that the gh would have to be on the patio which is close to the house in a north facing garden so it would get very little direct sun.
    My question is would it be worthwhile to put a greenhouse in this spot. My wife has even said she would get it for me for Christmas [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +52,565
    It's not the ideal position and facing north means more heat has to be used, you can't rely on any sunshine we may get at this time of year. I also think it depends on what you want to keep/grow in there TMAK.

Another consideration is a lean-to type greenhouse on the back of your house if you have the room. It will gain a certain amount of heat from your house wall.

3. TMAK

TMAK Tommy

Environmental analyst
    Ratings:
    +217
    Hi sheal. I'm afraid a lean too is out. The back of the house is mainly glass. As for what I would like to keep, I hate the winter and miss not being out in the garden so I was hoping to keep some sense of a garden in there. If that makes any sense. Just somewhere green and peacefull to go during the next 6 months or so. Ideally I would try and keep some hardier species in flower for some colour. Probably start with geraniums I patients, and some palms and Bougainville from out on the patio. Then as I see how it works out some more tender plants.
    Hope that makes sense

4. Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +52,565
    Even with heat I'm not sure much will bloom at this time of year, most plants need a rest period anyway. Grow lights are a consideration, but that could work out expensive. How about nurturing cuttings from various plants, many will be quite happy in a cold greenhouse at this time of year. You could also grow certain salad items or start seeds off that need a long germination period.

5. Fern4

Fern4 Total Gardener

The gardener of the house!
    Ratings:
    +7,491
    I think I'd stick with the larger greenhouse and have a go at creating a partition for the winter and just heating that section. I've never done it - no greenhouse yet but I know some people do it with success.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Anthony Rogers

Anthony Rogers Guest

Ratings:
      +0
      Hi TMAK,

You say your present greenhouse is large and the one you're thinking of getting is smaller, have you not thought of putting the smaller one , or part of it, up inside the large one just for the Winter.
      Otherwise I would go for a partition in the larger one with something like bubble wrap down the roof/sides for insulation.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • TMAK

TMAK Tommy

Environmental analyst
        Ratings:
        +217
        I should have said the larger one is quiet a bit from the house so I can't get power to it.

• JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
        +46,074
        I don't think it matters about being North facing as it's only temporary over-winter. Assuming you are just over-wintering plants that are more or less dormant?

• WeeTam

WeeTam Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +5,089
        Id be inclined to insulate the big greenhouse which will reduce its internal size. Large bubble wrap it completely. Id put a 1ft high strip of celotex around the perimeter too to keep frost at bay. Just ventilate well in mild days.

• TMAK

TMAK Tommy

Environmental analyst
        Ratings:
        +217
        Cheers for all the advice. Might look into insulating the larger one. Or partition it off. The celotex could be awkward. It's a dome greenhouse so the angles would be a nightmare.

• Informative Informative x 1