Greenhouse louvre opener

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Dorset Deb, Apr 14, 2021.

1. Dorset Deb

Dorset Deb Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi, I have a Hercules 6ft octagonal greenhouse and am looking for some auto louvre openers. I have been told by company I purchased from (and a few others) that their standard louvre opener will not fit this model of greenhouse. Has anyone managed any suggestions ideas?

2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +84,360
    I'd be inclined to call Bayliss Autovent, and ask them if theirs would fit.
    Maybe a slight modification when fitting could solve the problem.

3. ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +4,184
    Hi, Welcome to the Forum

Looking at a pic of that greenhouse all the bottom glazing has a X frame behind it , so there is no room for the louvers to open.
    Also not able to see if the greenhouses frame is the same slotted type as a typical greenhouse, which allows things to be bolted to it ..?

Hard to know, but they look to be at least 610mm x 610mm glass , if they are exact you might be able to fit a typical louvre, if bigger you would need to make a frame to fit the louver into, the frame would also add strength with the X frame being removed.

Might sound a lot, but if someone is handy at diy would think its possible ..

Alternatively, put some form of adjustable stop on the door so you allow air in that way, only needs to be open an inch or so to let a lot of air in.

• Like Like x 1
    • Dorset Deb

Ratings:
      +1
      Thanks for the suggestion Pete. Bayliss have said that their louvre auto openers will not fit :sad:

• Informative Informative x 1
      • Dorset Deb

Ratings:
        +1
        Thanks for your reply Ricky. The louvre windows are already in situ, it's the auto openers I'm struggling to find

Attached Files:

• ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +4,184
        Hi,

Oops. sorry, mis-interpreted your question.

This is very similar to the type we retrofitted to ours.
        Auto Louvre Opener

Would think you have enough room to attach it to the frame, just two self tapping screws and then to disconnect the louvers handle and match up the tie bar to the opener.