Greenhouse project at side of house

Discussion in 'Garden Projects and DIY' started by Gerard1983, Aug 16, 2020.

1. Gerard1983

Gerard1983 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I'm new to posting on the forum and have a potential greenhouse project that I'm looking for some advice on.

I've always enjoyed a bit of gardening but have got really into it this year (as i'm sure many have) with the lockdown. We have a small bit of space at the side of our house where I am hoping to build the greenhouse. It doesn't get a great amount of direct sun light and I'm wondering if it would be worth the effort eg would I still be able to start plants off in there or grow any fruit or veg?

I've attached some pics
    1) View from the front of the house (the gap at the side get's wider as you get towards the back garden) - our house is on the right of the photo
    2) The kind of design that would fit the space
    3) When the sun hits the gap between the houses - around 11am-1pm

We are in Aberdeen so get long days in the summer but very short days in winter.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

All the best,

Gerard

Attached Files:

2. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +45,635
    Looks a very narrow gap, what dimensions?

Being so shady will really limit what you can grow there, I guess you have ruled out the back garden instead ?

3. ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +4,184
    Hi and Welcome to the Forum

We have a lean to greenhouse , the Elite Kensington 8 x 6, and they do a range of lean tos and widths from 4ft.
    They offer a lot more head room that a typical Apex greenhouse.

For a self build, as mentioned in another thread it could be cheaper to buy one than build your own wooden one, which unless treated properly will soon rot.

While light might be a problem in that location, with todays cheap leds you should be able to keep a resonable light level for your key smaller plant ...?

The only thing that could be a problem is that gap between the two houses, does it act as a wind tunnel that cold blow the glass out easily ?
    We have replaced most of our glass with 10mm twinwalled polycarbonate for football and wind protection.

4. Gerard1983

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replies.

The gap is 2.1M wide at the back of the house and narrows to about 1M as you get to the gate at the front. We haven't decided on the length but have the whole length of the house to play with. The plan is to have a door on either end so you can get from the front to the back of the house when needed.

There isn't really a problem with wind coming through between the houses, there is a row of trees / hedgerow opposite at the front which acts as a barrier. At the back the garden is into an embankment, and there are a couple of apartment blocks behind us, so we are quite sheltered.

We have ruled out the back garden as an option, it's not huge and is on two levels. There are raised beds round the sides so don't really have a suitable spot unless it was right in the middle of our (rather small) lawn!

I'll check out those elite greenhouses.

5. ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +4,184
    Hi Again,

Just one point that might be a problem, the 'front' of the greenhouse will run alongside your neighbours access path.

Unless protected by a fence etc. standard 3mm glass would be a real danger, so some form of polycarbonate glazing, single or twin walled would be needed; and obscure as well as privacy could be an issue, both ways .

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Gerard1983

Ratings:
      +0
      There's a fence between the 2 properties and their garden is about a foot or two lower than ours.

I'll try and take a couple of photos of the gap tomorrow so that it's a bit clearer.