Greenhouse water collection

Discussion in 'Gardening Discussions' started by David Cook, Sep 20, 2020.

1. David Cook

David Cook Gardener

Ratings:
    +20
    I have a Palram greenhouse which has gutters, at the end of the gutters are black clips that have a bit that you can fit a hose pipe onto.

Has anyone managed to collect water from a palram greenhouse

Last edited: Sep 20, 2020
  2. CanadianLori

CanadianLori Total Gardener

Battle Axe
    Ratings:
    +30,478
    Yes. I have three Palrams and collect the water in rain barrels. I believe you call them butts.
    I plugged the downspouts on the front end and did this to the back. The insect screening is to keep mosquitoes out of the reservoir and leaves out of the trough.
    16005999657851076405703.jpg 16006000834441969962879.jpg

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
    • ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
      +100,834
      A lot of the GC Gang, including me, have have Green Houses with several Water Butts connected to the Gutters.

The Water Butts normally come with a detachable top to keep the insects out and also to prevent evaporation although it doesn't stop somethings like Worms slipping inside and drowning

[​IMG]

• David Cook

David Cook Gardener

Ratings:
      +20
      I bought a 100L on but being on the stand it is to high for my greenhouse, the top is above the gutters. So I am going to move it and use a black bin which will be lower.
      That is what I was after, I need to sort my greenhouse as it is slightly tilted towards the front. Due to the ground not be level. So might do the same but have the pipes running from the front to the back and into a gutter then into a black bin.

• Like Like x 2
      • CanadianLori

Battle Axe
        Ratings:
        +30,478
        I originally had hoses running from all 4 downspouts but found that by plugging the two front ones and only running a trough across the back and under the two downspouts then into the rain barrel, was a lot tidier looking.

• Like Like x 2
        • David Cook

David Cook Gardener

Ratings:
          +20
          Yeah i knw what you mean, it's just i have a slant that would that would take a lot of propping up, I will see how the pipes go and worry about it again.

• Like Like x 1
          • CanadianLori

Battle Axe
            Ratings:
            +30,478
            I recommend you correct most of that slant anyway. Greenhouses are not meant to be on an uneven base and are strongest when level. The difference that I added to the front to create a slope is a shim of 1/4", about 6 millimeters, and that is enough to force the water to run to the back. And that, across an 8 foot length, doesn't seem to compromise the structure. At least not yet. :dunno:

I've moved a couple of my greenhouses a few times and they don't mind being shifted about as long as they are put straight when in place.:)

• Agree Agree x 1
              Last edited: Sep 23, 2020