1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Greetings From South Korea

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by harris, Aug 31, 2009.

1. harris

harris Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi everybody,

I'm new to the forum, i've just moved over to South Korea to teach English for a year. I've been put up in a dingy little apartment that gets next to no sunlight, i was wondering if anybody had any ideas as to how i could brighten my place up and make it more cheerful. Any ideas as to what would be the best plants to go for considering the almost total lack of sunlight. All ideas would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance!:thumb:

2. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    Good evening Harris and welcome to the site.:thumb:

3. Alice

Alice Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +81
    Welcome to the forum Harris. Hope you enjoy your time in South Korea.
    Aspidistra will grow in just about any conditions but don't know if you could get it there and it's not very exciting.
    Why not try to find out what other people are growing - it's an opening point for a conversation with your neighbours.

4. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Hi Harris welcome,have you considered artificial lighting you can grow some lovely plants under the latest led lighting,it will brighten up those dull corners, you are in the right part of the world to obtain the latest in electronics.

5. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    Hi Harris,

Welcome to GC, I can't offer any helpful advice really-the north of England is very different to Korea I think.

Good Luck-there are lots of clever folk here who will be much more helpful.

6. harris

harris Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks very much for the replies, much appreciated. I think i will look to get some artificial lighting, as for asking the neighbors, well the language barrier is a problem and they aren't very sociable unfortunately. Will update soon, thanks again

7. Alice

Alice Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +81
    You could teach your neighbours a better way in sociability Harris, and sign language goes a long way. I've had fascinating conversations with people and gained loads of information in situations where we had no language in common.
    It could be a starting point for you to learn some of their language and not just teach them yours. It might be an eye opener as to how difficult it is to learn another language.
    I like your name. Do you come from that island ?

8. strawman

strawman Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    HI Harris, and welcome to the GC forum. Hope you're enjoying your stay in South Korea...

9. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,125
    Hi Harris & [​IMG] To GC.. A difficult question, but Ferns & Phillodedrons might be some to look at as well as they thrive in low light levels.. As Walnut says some lighting would help as too..

10. Penny in Ontario

Penny in Ontario Total Gardener

Work for my husband.
    Ratings:
    +1,667
    Hi there and Welcome to the site Harris.