1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Gritty liver

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Purple Streaks, Nov 28, 2020.

1. Purple Streaks

Purple Streaks Gardener

Ratings:
    +720
    Firstly I apologise if I've posted this in the wrong thread..

I wonder if anyone can tell me anything about Gritty liver?
    My mum had been told that a gritty liver is causing her some health problems she says she has been told it may cause her problems before ,has never said anything to me nor asked the doctor to explain anything about the condition .
    I've even wondered if the doctor said 'Fatty Liver'

And now we are in the throes of Covid I don't feel it's fair me making the phone call to ask the doctor.

Can anyone throw any light on 'Gritty Liver ' please ?

2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +85,990
    If you Google it you get cirrhosis ,spelling might be wrong.
    Says some thing about gall stones.

3. ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +4,203
    Hi,

That sounds like a generalisation, Gritty possibly meaning Irritated ?
    Could be something that the GP is not too concerned about or may consider not worth investigating further if the patient is eldery or not complaining of pain etc... ?

Looking on the NHS Website there is no mention of Gritty or Irritated Liver, so think you should ask you GP about your Mothers condition.
    It could be just a minor thing or something more , but either way your mother, and now you , do not really understand what they said, so its important they should provide you with a clear explanation.

A quick phone call will hopefully put your mind at rest, though you will probably have to book the call with the receptionist and the GP will call you back later as they work though their daily lists.

hth

Liver disease

• Like Like x 1
    • Mike Allen

Mike Allen Total Gardener

Retired. Plant Pathologist.
      Ratings:
      +6,097
      Gritty Liver is a term sometimes applied to the chemical residues produced in the liver.
      is a large organ in the body. It's function is to filter the blood. Containe within the liver is a part known as the gall bladder. This acts a secondary filter. Fluids that pass through here pass down to the kidneys and finally are expelled in the urine. During the fluids passing through the gall bladder. If the person becomes a victim of heart-burn and possibly frequent indigestion, then medical help is advised. During this process, some of the unwanted fluids can begin to crystalize, this process usuall ends up, when reaching the kidneys, and forms what we know as gall stones. Even in generall healthy people, this can take place. As our bodies age, certain natural function undergo changes and at times slowing down. Medication and medical intervention can in most cases alleviate much pain and suffering. Ones the now 'gritty residue' enters the kidneys, anyone who has suffered gakk or kidney stones will tell you. It AINT NICE MATE

• Informative Informative x 1
      • CanadianLori

CanadianLori Total Gardener

Battle Axe
        Ratings:
        +30,616
        @Mike Allen that makes sense. Over here, some of the doctors refer to grit in the gall bladder as sludge. Had it, painful, now the gall bladder is gone :)

• Purple Streaks

Purple Streaks Gardener

Ratings:
        +720
        Many Thanks to you all for your replies,hopefully this can be treated with medication as she is 89 years of age and none of us relish the thought of her going into hospital this moment in time.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
        • CanadianLori

CanadianLori Total Gardener

Battle Axe
          Ratings:
          +30,616
          @Purple Streaks this might be one of the safest time to go into hospital. They test everyone staying for a procedure and obviously quarantine those who test positive. And tney have super cleaning protocols in place. No lick and a promise work. Visitors are kept to a minimum so no -12 people crowding into granny's room -business happening.

• Like Like x 1
          • Agree Agree x 1