1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Growing a Cornus Kousa in a container?

Discussion in 'Container Gardening' started by JackJJW, Jun 10, 2014.

1. JackJJW

JackJJW Super Gardener

Community and Content Director
    Ratings:
    +1,559
    Has anyone ever tried this? I've seen a couple this year and absolutely loved them, so I've ordered one. A bit stupidly because I didn't realise how big the grow! The ones I've seen were only a couple of meters high. Ideally I'd like to grow it as a small tree and keep it that size but I'm now wondering if it isn't possible...

2. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,667
    Going to be a long time before they are more than 10-12' tall I reckon?

I wonder if it would prefer acid soil? Several of the Cornus do, although RHS says "any soil", but if so fill the container with ericaceous compost (of all the shrubbery Cornus I think that C. kousa is the most tolerant of alkaline soil)

Did you guy Cornus kousa? as I think there are better cultivars available - such as China Girl

3. JackJJW

JackJJW Super Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,559
    I bought a cornus kousa var. chinensis, which I believe is the one that I've seen, or at least very close. The one I saw was at the Chelsea flower show in the London square garden.

Yes, I think you are right that they perform better in ericaceous soil, that's partly why I was thinking of putting it in a pot because we're in London alkaline. I read somewhere that trees in post should be planted in a bark mix? I'll just get a very large pot for a small tree and see how it goes. They do seem to grow slowly, so it'll probably be quite happy for a few years and eventually I can plant it out somewhere - which I think it should survive if I'm careful, it might just take a while to re establish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,667
    I use "potting" pine bark for potting up things like that. Provides excellent drainage etc. and pine bark will increase acidity. You can probably get a bag from your local garden centre.

I would be inclined to pot-on until you get to a large pot size - the plant will make a better rootball (compared to be planted out directly into a large container). If you have an attractive, large, container "of choice" you could plunge the smaller, intermediate, pot in that and surround with gravel (for stability) or bark / MPC etc. - maybe plant something else in the outer area "for now" - bulbs in spring / bedding plants in summer.

The Bark I use is Sinclair's Nursery Grade, not sure where you would get that from online though, I use a trade supplier (they have a retail outlet online, but they don't list it on that site)
    http://www.william-sinclair.co.uk/commercial/ornamentalhorticulture/products/compostadditives/bark

5. JackJJW

JackJJW Super Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,559
    I have a bit of a dilemma with this tree. It's not ideal for a pot, and I'm in an alkaline soil area I believe. From what I've read, cornus kousa chinensis is the most alkaline tolerant - but have I bought a tree completely inappropriate for my garden?! Someone just down the road has one in their front garden this year which is why I thought it would be ok.

I'm thinking of treating it as an experiment to see if it will perform in either of these inappropriate / difficult conditions but can't decide which!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,667
    The sources I have read contradict each other, RHS says "any soil", others say "Acid" and indeed one said that soil must be alkaline! Most say "well drained" but some say prefers clay ...

FWIW my 2p-worth would be:

Seems to grow slowly when young. I think it might be worth raising it in a pot (potting on as necessary) until it gets some "bulk", it will then be better able to cope with the soil conditions. I would use an Ericaceous mix whilst in a pot.

I would attend to good drainage when planting out.

Whether applying Sulphur (once planted out), to lower the pH of the soil, will be effective for Cornus I don't know. There are a number of plants that prefer, but do not need, Acid soil. Of those that I can think of, the ones with good Autumn foliage have more dramatic colours on acid soil. So it is possible that Cornus will do likewise - less impressive autumn colour on alkaline soil - but in other respects will perform just fine on alkaline soil.