1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Growing common hazel from cuttings?

Discussion in 'Propagation This Month' started by "M", Mar 20, 2013.

1. "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +31,885
    Many thanks to the GC members who ID'd a plant for me: common hazel.

Equal thanks for the advice to "coppice".

Now, I wouldn't like to waste those "coppiced" stems (who would!?); but, the advice I'm finding via searches, does seem to be mixed on whether those stems would root or not.

So, my question is: which method would give me the best chance of rooting those cuttings so I can grow more of this shrub in a place more appropriate to it's (and my) needs?

I have compost, vermiculite, sharp sand, hormone rooting powder, pots, plastic bags.

Or, simply put: would I be wasting my time?

2. noisette47

noisette47 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +14,309
    Could be wrong, but I thought that hazel rooted like willow, from hardwood cuttings stuck into a sandy slit-trench in a shady spot of the garden? Stick them in, keep an eye open for new growth throughout the summer, water if necessary and then transplant them to their final positions in autumn....

• Like Like x 1
    • "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +31,885
      I have read that they stand a better chance of taking if they are put in a willow solution (willow leaves steeped in water). Unfortunately, my willow is as dead as a door nail and that isn't an option.

In the main though, it sounds as if they are difficult :dunno: But, I will give your suggestion a go - nothing to lose after all; and your suggestion is much appreciated :)

• noisette47

Ratings:
      +14,309
      Would an aspirin solution have the same effect do you think? That's what willows produce..
      I'll be having a go with hazels too, soon. The locals told me to grow them as short-stemmed trees and it's a fact that the orchards hereabouts are full of catkins at the moment, but my hazel bushes aren't, so they're going to get severely thinned! Will let you know how the cuttings do:)

• Informative Informative x 1
      • "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +31,885
        Thank you, noisette :)

I could try the aspirin on some, sandy on others and see what happens.
        Mine has developed catkins already so it will be on a wing and a prayer - but then so is much of my gardening :heehee:

• noisette47

Ratings:
        +14,309
        Good luck!:)

• Like Like x 1
        • "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +31,885
          Ah, now you've ruined it you see ... now, you think I need "luck"! :heehee:

• Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
          +12,667
          If I wanted some I wouldn't bother doing my own for Hazel as they are only 50p a plant to buy 100-off, and 80p for small quantities.

I use Hazel (and Dogwood and others) "prunings" as Pea-sticks to support various plants. By the Autumn a proportion have usually rooted.

But that doesn't get you "best chance of rooting those cuttings" (for which I don't know the answer, sorry, I'd bung them in a V trench with sand in the bottom like other hardwood cuttings, but I dunno if that is a good method)

• Like Like x 1
          • Sian in Belgium

Sian in Belgium Total Gardener

Ratings:
            +9,233
            I'm with Kirsten on this one. I use hazel stems instead of bamboo, which means the bean framework looks rustic, and any frameworks that are required quickly blend in. Having said that, I have numerous hazels to take down to the ground. Many have been frequently coppiced before, so I won't be able to move for sticks and canes!!

• Like Like x 1
            • Palustris

Palustris Total Gardener

Retired
              Ratings:
              +2,986
              I too use Hazel stems like that and have never ever had one root.

• Like Like x 1
              • Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
                +12,667
                Actually that's a good point Palustris ... I think of all the things I do use as pea-sticks the one thing that isn't in the mix for me is Hazel as I don't have any big enough, yet, and at our previous place, where we did have Hazel, I can't now remember any rooting.

I do use Willow and Dogwood - both of which root on occasion as Pea sticks - but either way its certainly not the most efficient way of getting them to root as they aren't getting watered "to grow" per se, just whatever water they get from being near other plants

• Like Like x 1