1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Growing curly willow from branches?

Discussion in 'Propagation This Month' started by Bigyouth, Jul 19, 2013.

1. Bigyouth

Bigyouth Apprentice Gardener

Student
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hello,

I recently picked up some curly willow branches with the intent of planting. I usually see them dried for ornamental purposes, but the live ones were about 3 pounds a bunch and I hear they grow very quickly in sunny conditions as long as the soil holds moisture.

From what I have read regarding planting, I am to keep them in water until the roots have formed then pot. I'm hoping to plant one of them in the ground and the others in pots; then move them when I figure out where exactly I want them to be.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

They've been in the water for a day, as you can see the roots are growing quickly on the closest one. 2 of them are 3-branch bunches, and the other a single branch. Should I plant the 3 branches together or separate them so I'll have 3 individual plants? (and 7 plants in total) I thought perhaps the roots may interfere with each other. If that is the case, then I suppose I should separate the branches while they're in the water.

Your advice would be very much appreciated, thankyou
    Bigyouth

2. Bigyouth

Bigyouth Apprentice Gardener

Student
    Ratings:
    +3
    Also, should I cut the branches down at all?

3. Loofah

Loofah Admin Staff Member

Ratings:
    +21,663
    Put them straight into damp compost and skip the sitting in water part. They're stupidly easy to grow as long as they have moisture. Separate as you see fit for whatever you want them for!
    If you chop you'll have bushier plants and even more plants to grow...

• Agree Agree x 1
    • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
      Ratings:
      +118,297
      Yes, they can grow quite easily. :blue thumb:

Just be aware that if you plant them in the garden, they can grow very quickly once they are well established and can become quite large.

• Agree Agree x 2