1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Growing Hops

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Tinker86, Jul 31, 2017.

1. Tinker86

Tinker86 Gardener

Ratings:
    +151
    I've been tempted over the past couple of years to grow my own hops, and then in turn, brew my very own pale ale. Nothing commercial or to a large degree, I'm not a big drinker really, its more to immerse in the process and hopefully with a fairly decent method see a return of a decent brew.

Has anyone on here ever grown hops? I know commercially, large telegraph style poles are erected with ropes for the bines to climb and cling to. I have no intention of going mad in that direction, but was thinking of making a rope wall down one side of my allotment plot. Fence posts from the top of the plot to the bottom.

If anyone has had a go in the past with fairly decent results I'd love to know your experience. I'm trying to school myself best as I can before looking into getting it going.

Cheers, beers and mucky ears :blue thumb:

2. Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
    +28,997
    I've got wild hops growing in my garden, make sure you plant them away from paths/children as the sharp spines on their stems will tear skin plus cause rashes if you brush against them.

This should do until I take a macro shot in my garden ...

[​IMG]

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Tinker86

Tinker86 Gardener

Ratings:
      +151
      I had no idea. I shall definitely be taking your advice.
      One side of my plot is used as the main pathway to move from the lane (front of plot) to my potting shed (back of plot), the other side, luckily, has a trench that I use as a divider from my neighbours plot, but which also comes in handy as drainage. So after what you have said, it would make sense to use that side, which is already an out of bounds area, due to the trench.

• pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
      Ratings:
      +85,694
      Only ever grown a variegated hop myself, but they tend to still grow in the hedgerows around here, and up the odd telegraph pole.
      They are pretty rampant things once they get a hold.

Just another thought, but the sap contains a brown dye.

• Tinker86

Tinker86 Gardener

Ratings:
        +151
        After the first harvest I shall be cutting right back so that the well known bullying rhizome roots don't wander off. My plot is sloped so I'm thinking of going the horizontal washing line approach.

Do you think the brown dye in the sap plays its part in the colouration of the ale then? I didn't realise they had that.
        I suppose with only hops used in brewing and not stems or bines, I imagine the colour could only come from the hops. That's a guess though.

• HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
        Ratings:
        +16,246
        I have an ornamental Golden hop very nice leaves , but as Pete said the growth is rampant . I think @Zigs used home grown hops in a brew . He may advise on the success or failure of the trial ?

• Like Like x 1
        • Friendly Friendly x 1
        • Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
          +0
          Make sure you get a decent variety, wild hops can give dodgy flavours to beer.

• Tinker86

Tinker86 Gardener

Ratings:
            +151
            Cheers Harry!
            As I said I plan to train it clockwise up a couple of bines and hopefully keep on top of it. I'm putting the planning in now ready to plant some dormant rhizomes around January, which will hopefully come to life around spring.

Fingers crossed @Zigs has a couple of pointers to throw into the pot. Every bit helps.

Thanks buddy

• Friendly Friendly x 1
            • Tinker86

Tinker86 Gardener

Ratings:
              +151
              Here he is!

That's the plan mate. A proper decent brewers variety. Have you had any success yourself?

• Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
              +0
              Not grown em meself, usually buy fuggles :)

Had a thought, don't over hop a brew, they're a strong sedative. I put too many in once, got a strong bitter flavour but fell asleep after 2 pints :doh:

• Funny Funny x 1
              • Tinker86

Tinker86 Gardener

Ratings:
                +151
                Haha trust you! Good shout mate, I think I'm gonna play around and make a few varied batches and see which works best.
                After a proper drying, hops are supposed to store well in vac bags in the freezer, so I'm hoping to have a wide window for mistakes

• Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
                +0
                :biggrin: I just store them dry in a cupboard.

Only UK member of the Cannabis family, they do contain a small amount of THC man :snorky:

• Funny Funny x 1