1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Growing lights

Discussion in 'NEW Gardeners !' started by cathymoon, Feb 24, 2016.

1. cathymoon

cathymoon Gardener

Ratings:
    +11
    Hello again :)

I'm starting my second batch of Lettuce seeds, as the first one did not went well.
    And I'm might have a problem with lack of light.
    The growing lights systems, are quite expensive, and take a lot of space, that I don't have.
    So after a few searches, I found out that a intense fluorescent light, like the ones I use at home, might work well enough for my lettuces (maybe even for peppers and tomatoes).
    My question is will a simple desk lamp be enough? The seedlings pot is small, 12x18 cm. And if I do start peppers and/or tomatoes, it will be in a even smaller pot, 9x14 cm.

As for the bulb, maybe a LED white warm 2700 Kelvin and 60w?

What do you think?
    Thank you in advance

2. clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
    +19,595
    You can get LED grow light arrays specifically for this purpose. Mine is 1ft square, 15 watts power consumption, no heat so no need to worry about cooling.

I can't remember where I got mine,but it would have been either Amazon or possibly eBay. Just Google led grow lights.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
      At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
      Ratings:
      +49,439
      Amazon even have them for Prime Delivery

• Like Like x 1
      • clueless1

Ratings:
        +19,595
        That one looks pretty much identical to mine. But I'd be worried about buying that particular one. Is it 15 watts like mine, and like it says in the title, or is it 90 watts like it says further down in the technical details. That's an important thing to get right, because if it's 90 watts, then some heat will be generated, so cooling or ventilation becomes more important.

• Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
        At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
        Ratings:
        +49,439
        I must admit that I didn't read too far down on that one, simply because it looked identical to the two I have. The 90w must be a typo though, as there is no way a panel of those LED's would consume that amount - - well, not unless there was something terribly amiss with it.

• Agree Agree x 1
        • clueless1

Ratings:
          +19,595
          A very nastily inefficient transformer and regulator could produce such figures. Unlikely though. As you say, probably a typo, but still worth verifying.

• Agree Agree x 1
          • Witchazel

Witchazel Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
            +4
            It has something to do with the actual wattage consumption vs. the LED light output. Power usage is 15 watts but 90 - 1 watt bulbs equals 90 watts of output.

• clueless1

Ratings:
            +19,595
            That would break one of the unbreakable laws of physics. You can't get more out than you put in. If the whole unit consumes 15 watts, then the sum of the power use of each part can't be more than 15 watts.

The 90 watt point must be a typo, unless it's saying the United consumes 90 watts, 15 of which are used by the LEDs, with the remaining 75 watts being conversion loss in the transformer/regulator.

• Witchazel

Ratings:
            +4
            Yeah I hear your logic but I'm standing by my statement. I've seen it explained a couple of times and still don't grasp it fully. I'd put money down that it's not a typo though.

Here is another one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/151374...7290-0%26rvr_id%3D987429252208&chn=ps&lpid=82

From the details:

LEDs: 60*5 WLEDs
            Dimension: 11.8*7.9*2.75inches
            Lumen: 7150lumens
            Coverage: 2*2ft( Veg), 2*2ft(Flowering)
            Power consumption: 110V: 130W

• Agree Agree x 1
            • CanadianLori

CanadianLori Total Gardener

Battle Axe
              Ratings:
              +30,605
              Getting out equalling input applies to heat. Not light, else why would flourescent, led be promoted as more efficient in delivering lumens per £ than incandescent. An incandescent uses excess power because the heat by product sucks power....

Or at least that's what my brother told me and he was a top electrical engineer for Atomic Energy who build the Candu (read SAFE) reactors. Yes, nuclear. Kinda think he knows his business. :) He was the fellow who headed up the department who created the mathematics to calculate safety factors. Very proud little sis i is ....:)

That's also why he gets a giggle out of me playing tinker toys with my solar set up :)

• Like Like x 3
              • CanadianLori

Battle Axe
                Ratings:
                +30,605
                Just try it. If it works. Great. If not ?

I have been pleasantly surprised with some of my experiments.

• Agree Agree x 1
                • JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
                  +45,990
                  Ah but it's light output we are interested in for our plants, so "lumens/lux" are the key factors. A "watt" is a measure of energy consumed, so more efficient lamps like fluorescent and LED produce more lumens per watt of energy consumed.

It's good to see the key factor detailed, I wouldn't buy any if they didn't mention the lumen output detail.

However I would need three of these to match the light output of my T5 fluorescent grow lamp which consumes 90 watts (T5 is a particular type of high-output fluorescent tube). My T5 growlamp system cost £70 about 4 years ago. I'm not dismissing LED systems, it's just that there is so little information available on these cheaper systems which makes me wonder if they are up to the job. The real experts are on the cannabis forums (not that I frequent those :)) and they still use fluorescent and metal halide plus heat extraction systems. I have read about commercial experiments with LED, again these systems have a high upfront cost, the attraction of LED is low long term running costs.

We have had quite a few threads on this subject over the years, here's about the best I can find:
                  http://gardenerscorner.co.uk/forum/threads/growlights-building-the-perfect-grow-box.47814/

• Witchazel

Ratings:
                    +4
                    I bought the MARS system I linked to as my first ever LED and will say the results have been incredible. Orchids that had never bloomed- bloomed, carnivorous plants grew and bloomed and as we speak, tomato starts that I'm going to repot today that look like I sowed the seeds directly in the ground in May. All of this with one light I have hanging 3-4ft above my table. Just like everyone here I couldn't get a straight enough answer other than the fact that everyone who said they'd tried LED's loved them so I decided take a leap of faith and am amazed at the results. Btw, lumens IS important but because the LED's tend to focus on red and blue lights, they don't need to be as bright because they're delivering more of what the plants need.

• Informative Informative x 2
                    • CanadianLori

Battle Axe
                      Ratings:
                      +30,605
                      A good source for information about grow lights is to go a site where they discuss growing marijuana. The rest of their information is specific to growing those plants but the information posted about grow lights is quite detailed. Let me see if I can find the site where I read about these....:scratch:

ah, here it is www.growweedeasy.com

These dudes really did their homework and it doesn't seem to be based on pipe dreams...:heehee:

• Like Like x 1
                      • Funny Funny x 1
                      • CanadianLori

Battle Axe
                        Ratings:
                        +30,605

Where did you get the MARS system?

I have been reading about LEDs but the price of the units I have seen is pretty expensive. I started with flourescent lights because I could afford the units. I have one HPS light (which is THE best) but it uses a lot of power. I'd like to switch to LEDS if I can find an affordable source.