1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Growing Polyanthus from seed - some questions

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by TheMadHedger, Apr 27, 2016.

1. TheMadHedger

TheMadHedger Gardener

Ratings:
    +226
    A few weeks ago I sprinkled some Polyanthus seeds onto some compost in a couple of trays, kept them cool in my porch, now about 20 have germinated (so far).

What is the best course of action now? Leave them in the porch (in the window) or move them somewhere warmer?

The seed trays (with holes) are inside gravel trays (without holes) so they are only getting moisture from below as I'm adding water to the gravel trays, but do I also need to mist the seedlings for any reason?

Thanks

2. kazzawazza

kazzawazza Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,858
    If they are fine where they are, I would leave them. You could buy the plastic lids to put over them which would warm them up.

3. TheMadHedger

TheMadHedger Gardener

Ratings:
    +226
    Thanks. Do they need much warmth now that they have germinated? Then again, there are still many seeds in the trays which haven't yet germinated so do I still need to keep them cool so that those also germinate?

4. kazzawazza

kazzawazza Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,858
    I have stocks, lupins, geraniums and herbs in trays from seed on the windowsill with lids. They are doing great. The heat will also help the other seeds germinate.

5. TheMadHedger

TheMadHedger Gardener

Ratings:
    +226