1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Growing Pots for Sweet Peas etc ?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by HarryS, Jul 27, 2013.

1. HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +16,246
    I know its a bit early to start looking , but I would like to buy tall thin plastic plant pots for Sweet Peas and a couple of other deep root plants. I was looking for something about 15cm tall about 7 or 9 cm diameter ( or square ) 6" x 4" Dia. I can't find anything like this ? Any ideas anyone ?
    TIA
    I use root trainers for other plants , they are not what I want for the SPs.

2. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,667
    • Like Like x 1
    • pamsdish

pamsdish Total Gardener

Retired
      "Black Country Wench" in Margam,Port Talbot,Wales
      Ratings:
      +4,445
      Can you not buy lengths of plastic pipe from a hardware store, and cut to your required length.

• Like Like x 1
      • Selleri

Selleri Koala

Ratings:
        +7,681
        Plastic bottles for soft drinks or milk bottles, cut appropriately? If you don't get those in your household, an early morning stroll on the recycling bin collecting day might provide a good yield. :)

• Like Like x 2
        • HarryS

Retired
          Ratings:
          +16,246
          Thanks Kristen , Pam and Selleri
          I may use a sample of all three ideas , paper , tube and plastic bottles next year and see which I prefer.
          Do the paper ones not get a bit soggy. I used toilet rolls one year , and ended up with a soggy mess , I presume you need to be prudent with your watering ?

• Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
          +12,667
          You would think so :) Seem to be remarkably robust, given that its just newspaper. When I Sowed sweet peas in Autumn I used two sheets of newspaper, rather than just one. I now sow my sweet peas in January and just use single newspaper sheets.

It is important that they don't sit in water ... so if they are in a contained tray like, say, a gravel-tray then be careful not to flood them! They are a bit fragile when you come to plant them, but I let them dry out a bit before planting and, for me, they seem to work OK. I love the fact that they are 5" tall and only 2" wide. Never been able to buy pots that shape!

It is important to tear off ALL newspaper showing above the soil line when you plant, otherwise that will "wick" the water up and make the paper unger ground dry, which the roots will struggle to grown through.

• HarryS

Retired
          Ratings:
          +16,246
          I'll have a practice run with paper pots Kristen . As you say I can get a 6" tall plastic bag pot but it is 5" diameter and takes 2 litres of compost !

• Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
          +12,667
          The only narrow-ish pots that I know of are "Clematis pots". I bought a job lot of them off eBay (and use them for my Snowdrop collection).

One of the sweet pea outfits ("Eagle" springs to mind?) used to sell tall & narrow "plastic bag pots", which I used once, but I found that filling them was a PITA and haven't used them subsequently.

• Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
          +12,667
          Actually, there is one other ... I think the pots are nicknamed "Toms" / "Long Toms" - probably from LBS Superstore or whatever they are called (I'm hoping Google will fill in the blanks in my memroy for you !! if now ask and I'll go on a forage)