1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Growing roses from seed

Discussion in 'Roses' started by paddy_rice, Apr 7, 2009.

1. paddy_rice

paddy_rice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all

As a present last year, I received a small cardboard box with dry compost (called 'elephant poo in a box'!) and rose seeds in it, which the instructions said I was to water... I did and lo and behold four rose seedlings have appeared! This is all good but now I'm wondering when I can pot them on, especially as the cardboard box has started to sprout black mould (perhaps, in hindsight, not a good idea to grow stuff in cardboard!!) and I'm not keen on having this in the house for longer than necessary (it's on a windowsill at the mo).

How big do the rose seedlings have to be before you can pot them on? At the moment, mine have two true leaves and a third just appearing. They still seem very small and delicate.

Otherwise, could I put the box outside until the seedlings are big enough to pot on? I have a mini-greenhouse that I could put the box in. This might be a good solution but I don't want the seedlings to die of cold!

Any advice welcome

Paddy

2. wiseowl

wiseowl FRIENDLY ADMIN Staff Member

Philosophy of people
    Ratings:
    +89,807
    Hi Paddy_rice, Are they these:thumb:
    [align=center]-----------------------------------
    [/align]
    [align=center]
    [align=left][align=left][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, adobe-helvetica, Arial Narrow]
    [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, adobe-helvetica, Arial Narrow][/FONT][/align]
    [/align]
    [/align]

3. paddy_rice

paddy_rice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
  4. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    I have a very similar issue with cardboard or paper pots-very prone to fungus.

I have the greatest respect for Woo with his knowledge of roses and very gentlemanly manner, I personally would plant them outside now discarding the cardboard to avoid any issues with the fungal problems.

That's just my take on it because that is the issue I have with the seedlings of any plant I have. It's safer in the garden.

5. wiseowl

Philosophy of people
    Ratings:
    +89,807
    Hi Paddy yes They are sweetly scented minature Roses,Pink and White in colour,they grow to about 25cm and they only take 5 months from sowing to flowering:) so the answer is as soon as you feel you can handle them safely to repot them ,I would respectfully suggest you repot them into the Container they are going to flower in :thumb:

6. paddy_rice

paddy_rice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks! :)

So if I did repot them, would it be ok to leave them outside? Or would they be better in a greenhouse/polytunnel until they're a bit stronger?

Also - is it a perennial??

P

7. wiseowl

Philosophy of people
    Ratings:
    +89,807
    Hi Paddy What I would do Is put them outside ,but bring them in if there is a late frost or torrential Rain but otherwise I would leave them in a sunny wind protected spot.Hope this helps.Yes Perennials:thumb:
    They can be planted in the Border in a Sunny spot but I should wait until end of May beginning of June.Hope this has been of some Help.:)

[​IMG] [​IMG]