growing sweet cherry trees

Discussion in 'Trees' started by janet81, May 3, 2009.

1. janet81

janet81 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi! We are thinking about planting a sweet cherry tree in our garden, but I'm not sure if this is the type of tree that has the beautiful blossom of flowers in the spring. As much as I love to see the blossom blooming, it causes a bit of a mess when the wind blows off the petals and I wouldn't want to cause any problems with my neighbours. So could someone please tell me if the sweet cherry variety blossoms with flowers, or does it just blossom with cherries? Also, how far from our fence should we plant the tree, which is already about 6-8 feet tall?

Kind regards
    Janet

2. Dave W

Dave W Total Gardener

Anything I fancy and can afford!
    Ratings:
    +3,035
    Sweet cherries have flowers. Like apple, plum and pear trees it's the fertilised blooms that form the fruit.
    Should be okay to plant about a foot to 18 inches from the fence. We've one that's now about 15 years old and I planted it about nine inches from a wall, I'd have liked it a bit further away but couldn't do it.

If you are worried about blossom blowing over the fence you could keep it low and try growing it as a fan or espalier.

3. janet81

janet81 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Dave.

Kind regards
    Janet